Sunday, March 27, 2011

A New Favourite Media Outlet

Well, it's been a week since I posted; and I apologize.  Time flies.

For the most part it's been a week of walking in the sun and elder care.  Poor auntie fell ill a week ago Friday.  I took her to the doc on Monday - diagnosis the same pulmonary/respiratory bug that's been plaguing  the town for several weeks.  She got a bunch of drugs.  Then Wednesday we had to visit the the ER when she was feeling mighty poorly.  Change of antibiotics.  She appears to be on the mend.

I did some house cleaning while I was keeping my eyes on the ol' bird.  Her living alone is now a VERY marginal proposition from a personal safety perspective.  On the other hand, she swears that is what she wants.  So if she falls and dies that would be her choice.  And if she catches the place on fire there is enough space between her house and the neighbors that it is likely she (and her cat, Baby) would be the only fatalities. 

On the other hand, on most days she is not really very happy.  So one would think that perhaps there might be a better solution.

The only thing I do know for certain is that in three weeks or so I will be able to begin working in her yard, - something I really enjoy. 

And on the mom front - second injection for arthritis in her back - not so effective.  So we'll try it again in a couple of weeks.

Mom's trailer is in the darkest recesses of Switzer Village.  But even there the snow is melting.  So, in a week or so I may be able to clean the driveway.  Then the roof.  Then the siding.  And by then it will be gardening time there too.  Mom LOVES her yard.  Gonna try to make it the best ever this year.

April BIG TIME FUN.  Daughter Amanda will be up for a week mid-month for the folk festival.  Who knows?  I may have to attend some events myself.  And we'll go out for supper...I'm counting the days.

And in other news, in the course of following the Libya saga, I have finally tumbled to Al Jazeera - English as one of the most interesting and informative web sites for news on the Middle East.  It's an interesting perspective insofar as it does not interpret the latest tactical news of the war through the filter of U.S.Presidential politics.  Al Jazeera does not regard Newt Gingrich's opinion on the matter (either his Monday opinion or 180 degree opposite Friday opinion) as being front page stuff.

I spent a little bit of time looking through the Al Jazeera website - searching various obscure and semi-obscure topics.  I thought it was interesting that this story came up on top when I just searched Alaska.

Al Jazeera on Alaska

Unlike most U.S. websites, I didn't see an address where one can donate.  Guess I'll have to look it up myself....  Seems to me like a bunch of Alaskan donations to building a mosque might be a very good idea. 

So there you have it...

No comments: