Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Christmas Fun

Well, guess we can stick a fork in another Christmas - it's done - and for my part it was quite fun. 

Although I am a confirmed non-believer and tend to be a strict constructionist on matters of the separation of church and state, I confess I am less than consistent in this regard when it comes to the Christmas holiday. 

I just LOVE the holiday and baby Jesus is welcome in my home every Christmas.  But then again so are Santa, Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer, the Grinch, Frosty the Snowman, and any wandering wise men or vagrant elves who happen to be in the neighborhood.  Indeed, I rationalize my lack of indignation over putatively religious symbols in the public square over the holidays precisely because I make no distinction between the creche story and its inhabitants and their more recent secular cousins.  It's all one glorious fable to be taken lightly and enjoyed - with hopefully more than a whiff of cheer and good will toward one's fellow man.

As is customary, I was invited to Alison's Christmas Eve supper - boef bourguignon a la Julia Childs.  Very yummy.  A delightful evening.

The hostess and her father-in-law

Alison suggested that when Eric and I come for supper - she needs to double the recipe.  Eric and I did not disappoint.

The family Christmas supper was particularly fun insofar as I now have my own home suitable for entertaining and I flew solo on turkey with all the trimmings.  Dinner for ten.  YIKES!  The vittles proved satisfactory - at least nobody went home hungry - and everyone seemed to enjoy the experience.

Mom's former neighbor, Lori, now lives at the Pionners' Home.  She was sprung for Christmas supper.

On a couple of occasions I thought I might have to tie mom to the chair.  She clearly felt she belonged in the kitchen.

Auntie attended along with her visitors from Anchorage - grandson Brock and his two sons.  Auntie particularly enjoyed the company of my boarder, Enrique, and his hound, Nikki.

  Auntie flirted shamelessly with Enrique all evening.  YOU GO GIRL!

After I cleaned-up all the debris Enrique and I opened our gifts from out mutual friend, Joan.  Enrique was clearly light-headed - bordering on the delirious - after spending time with my family and there was considerable confusion over one of Joan's gifts.

 What was initially identified as a pair of doggie long-johns...

...was subsequently recognized as a hat for Enrique

So there you have it...

Today is ghostly quiet at the ol' homestead.  Enrique and Nikki have upped-stakes for the Lower 48.  They will return in March when he will be appearing in another Perseverance Theatre production.  I like having company!

1 comment: