Saturday, May 11, 2013

It Doesn't Get Any Better than this!

What a week.  Cleared-up on Monday afternoon and stayed sunny through Friday evening.  I worked in the garden six to eight hours each day.  Got lots done.  Most fun I've had in many, many months.  Hard to imagine anyplace more beautiful than Juneau on a clear spring day.

And to think that just a couple of weeks ago it was snowing...  Hah!

Mr. Lockhart finished felling the trees I hired him to remove.  It makes a HUGE difference in the amount of sun the garden receives.

I tidied-up all the existing flower beds and installed and got soil for my new raised beds.  Bought and planted a bunch of annuals and a few perennials.  I hardened-off the perennials I started from seed and they got poked in the ground too.

I love my house and my garden.

So, without further ado, a garden tour.

One of the trees down in the yard; removal will continue this weekend.

Bill did an outstanding job and managed to put all but this one tree down on the side of the hill by the highway.  Amazing.  I had nightmares about large trees falling on school buses...

I really like this new bed...got the iris from Auntie's yard...

I have deployed two deer abatement strategies.  Strategy #1:  the ol' garden stake obstacle course

 The Normandy Beach obstacle approach

And Strategy #2:  the bio-deterrent.  I am not particularly fond of marigolds; but deer are reputed to dislike them immensely.  In my new raised bed I planted the majority of the perennials I started from seed and surrounded the tender young plants with marigolds.

The stinky plant approach

I have also begun development of my rock garden.  This will take years; but could be quite attractive.

Gonna get lots of sun here now!

Got my planters about half planted

A truly beautiful evening

Time to relax and enjoy my handiwork...

Sadly we have returned to cloudy and drizzly skies for the weekend.  So...will devote myself to Mother's Day supper for the elders.  Will consult with said elders in a few minutes - halibut or prime rib?

Life is good kids!

3 comments:

Michelle said...

Elmer, always fun to read your updates. Thanks for sharing. I miss being in Alaska. Only this morning I posted some pictures on Instagram of my time there. I hope the elders go with the Halibut.

Elmer Lindstrom said...

Nope. Went with the beef. But it was fun.
Hope you are doing well. Where are you working now?

Unknown said...

HI Elmer:
Still have that open invitation to visit with us in Vancouver, CANADA anytime.
What a great place you have.
All the best, Manfred and Sally Warner