Tuesday, July 19, 2016

The Seasons Turn, Turn, Turn

But they're turnin' too fast this year. 

The fireweed is almost bloomed out - at least three weeks early.  And after the fireweed blooms in Southeast Alaska?  Nada.  The grasses on the wetlands have already gone to seed and are turning brown.  Some alder and willow are already turning. 

The good news.  Maybe we'll have some good fall color in August and early September.  The bad news.  I suspect many native species are beginning to feel stressed by climate change.

For the gardener, longer growing seasons can be an opportunity.  Next February I am going to start some perennials from seed that do not typically thrive in Juneau due to our relatively short growing season.  Maybe some phlox.  Certainly coneflowers and pincushion flowers. Dare I say carnation? Probably not...

Here are some garden pics.

Delphinium grown from seed three years on

My honeysuckle is going beserk this year

Love these guys.

 Happy in the rock garden.

Annuals to the fore!

Sorry...but I really like my delphiniums..


A huge specimen of 'The Rocket'.  The only plant in my garden that has its roots from my house out on Glacierwood Drive. I divided the plant and put it in my Auntie's garden.  And then took a division for my current garden over a decade later.
 
Second year for this baby.

New comer to the dahlia collection

The bait pots are going gangbusters.

From seed this winter.  Sisters are purple and pink.  Hope to see 'em next Spring. 

Double impatiens courtesy of my mom.  More pics to come.

Another seedling from this winter.  You go girl!

A curiosity.  A succulent. Delosperma. Park Seed assured good to zone 4.  All planted outside last year are deceased.  I put this gal in a gallon pot and kept her in the garage frost free and she survived. Good root system.  We'll see what happens this winter...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You grew a Beautiful Garden Elmer. Congrats