Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Mobility is Good

It took two days but I think I've now got a system for getting dad out of the house.  Until yesterday, he had not been outdoors for nine months - since his last doctor's appointment.  On the one hand, this is a good thing - as far as the medical stuff is concerned.  On the other hand, it's appalling for someone as attuned to the seasons as dad has been all his life - not to mention a waste of  his considerable talents as a gregarious bullshitter.  Dad likes to yak-it-up with his fellow man.

Yesterday was step one - and it ended ignominiously.  I went up to Catholic Social Services and got a wheelchair.  Actually, I think it's called a transporter  - smaller back wheels than a hospital style wheelchair.  Good for outdoor walks and very lightweight.  The ol' coot was up for it.  He got down the stairs from the porch under his own power and soaked-up some rays while sitting in the chair.  I took him for a short stroll down the street.  He was visibly thrilled.  Then we got back home and tried to get him back UP the stairs under his own power.  YIKES!.  He just couldn't do it.  I could barely keep him upright...called for help from the neighbors.  It took three of us about five minutes to get him up four stairs - twenty five inches of rise in total.  He cut his arm somehow.  He has a bruise on his chin where he hit the railing.  OOFTA!

So...Plan B today.  Went over to the medical supply place and rented a really cool ramp.  It folds up...into a large suitcase size package that only weighs about fifty pounds.  It unfolds to become an eight foot long ramp.  Fits perfectly on the stairs.  Today I whipped the ol' boy up and down the stairs without the slightest problem.  Dad, mom, Linda and I had coffee outside.  I walked him around the neighborhood.  He chatted-it-up with several of the neighbors.  He inspected our wood pile with a critical eye and gave his approval.  He was clearly delighted with being outdoors on all accounts.  I felt very pleased myself.

I've also been busy with yard work.  Mowed and trimmed auntie's and mom's yards yesterday.  Did Alison's and Dougie's place today.  All the yards look quite marvelous - by Juneau standards, at least.

And here are some pics from last week's birding expeditions.

 Short-Billed Dowitchers (I think).

 I had to crawl on my belly to get these pics...on maneuvers!

I enjoyed every minute of it!

 A Yellow-Rumped Warbler doing the warbling thing...

 I think these guys are Republicans...exploiting the labour of others...in this case a spider.

2 comments:

Eric said...

You are a fine son and caregiver. Not a bad nature photog either.

Elmer Lindstrom said...

And you are about to be an ex-wage slave. Any plans for the weekend? How about a hike? I'll show you the secret retirement handshake...