Monday, July 11, 2011

A Tale of Two Rodents

Finally!  Some sun...a beautiful day yesterday and more nice weather for the next couple of days.

Eric, Alison and I hiked out to Pt. Bridget yesterday.  The meadows were chock-a-block full of wild geraniums in bloom.  Quite spectacular.  There were lots of folks on the trail and everybody was in a good fair-weather mood.

On the drive out the road Alison and I came upon a marmot sitting in the middle of the highway.  I stopped the car and the roly poly little fur ball waddled off to the side of the road and sat there for us to admire him.  Really cute.  A little rabbit-like nose.  A bushy tail.  A sweet disposition. Unfortunately, my camera was in the back of the car.

A couple of hours later we came upon Mr. Marmot's cousin, Mr. Porcupine.  A pig-like snout.  Yellowed teeth.  Rapacious claws.  Oh yeah, and covered with nasty pointy quills.  Fortunately, Porky was up a tree and thus unable to wreak the customary havoc on Eric's hounds. 

Sadly, this was the only wildlife I saw.  Lots of bear scat; but no bears.  The birds were being coy.  Still, a beautiful day.

Oh...and before I forget...here is a link to the pictures I took on Jame's and Leah's whale watching cruise a couple of weeks ago. 

Well, time to get this show on the road.  I am contemplating a Perseverance Trail hike...

No comments: