Saturday, July 23, 2011

Ted Stevens Day

Today is Ted Stevens Day - and I confess I have no idea what Ted Stevens events in which I ought to participate.  Here's what State Rep. Steven Thompson (R), Fairbanks suggests as a cool way for our Fairbanks friends to honor our recently departed Uncle Ted:
A public celebration in honor of Ted Stevens Day will take place on Saturday, July 23rd from 4pm-6pm at the Chief’s Court at Doyon, Ltd., located at 1 Doyon Court. The event is hosted by the Fairbanks Republican Women in conjunction with their Jazz on the River celebration. There will be live music, Ted Stevens’ memorabilia, and a short program to honor the late Senator. Additionally, commemorative wine glasses will be sold as mementos to this first annual celebration. Admission is $10 and includes food, drink, and entry into the Chief’s Court.
Doesn't sound quite up to Stevens' standards it seems to me. 

Here are my suggestions on the appropriate festivities:
  • Find a lobbyist to treat you to the best meal in town;
  • Take a  ride on a corporate jet to somewhere fun
  • Sign a contract for a sweetheart deal on home renovations
Good ol' Uncle Ted...

In other news, it's been a very nice week.  Hiking, golf, just finished auntie's yard, and I would have finished mom's by now except that she sneakily went out and did it herself before I arrived.  She's nuts.

Yesterday I also met with a realtor...gonna do some serious house hunting.  We looked at one place on Mountainside Estates which has GREAT sun in both summer and winter; but I was not real thrilled with the house.  It needs some remodeling - particularly updating the bathrooms and the kitchen and the roof will need to be re-shingled shortly.  I would rather cut-off my right arm than get involved in serious remodeling.  More looking on Monday...

Tonight it's a BBQ featuring grillmaster Doug's famous ribs.  And fire pit.  I like fire pit.

Here are a couple of pics from auntie's yard.  It looks quite smashing if I do say so myself...


Auntie's yard is quite colourful

The colour scheme is accidental - but worked quite well

I like these lilies

And finally, a couple of pics courtesy of Mr. Swanson.  We had a flood on Mendenhall Lake and the Mendenhall River this week when an ice dam broke somewhere up on the Glacier.  And Juneau's newest waterfront mascot.

Mendenhall River above flood stage.  Photo courtesy of Eric Swanson

Hmmmmm.  Photo courtesy of Eric Swanson

No comments: