Friday, January 13, 2012

Classic Cruisin'

Well, kinda a rough week.  Came down with a cold early in the week and while I feel much better my sinuses are still in an uproar.  Could be the weather too - as we transition from serious southeast wind with rain and snow to even more serious Taku winds with cold and dry.  Supposed to get down below zero early next week - and for my Canadian and South African friends - that's fahrenheit.  The barometer is rapidly moving from low to high.  Still, it will be nice to see the sun!  And I believe that while my home is very exposed to southeast wind it should be calm here during a Taku event.

We'll see...  With any luck I should have some nice pics of folks playing hockey on the lake in front of my place in a few days - it's open water right now; but that ain't gonna last. 

So...lots of reading and TV this week.  I had never watched "30 Rock" before but I am becoming a devotee.  Tina Fey has a sense of humor that is very congenial to someone with my tastes.

I have spent more time sorting through Eric's photos and was very pleased to discover several taken of and on the Gadget, Alison's dad's classic 1929 motor yacht.  Kinda small for what we call yachts in this era; but back in the day it would have certainly qualified. 

These pics were taken during the annual fall quackfest where Newt would take the youngsters (Eric, Doug and various other hangers-on) well south of Juneau to party-down and harass the more dim-witted sort of waterfowl who had a death wish.  Good times - or so I'm told as I never participated in these adventures.

My reference point for the Gadget was the spring and summer season weekend trips - typically to Taku Harbor.  These were similar to the duck hunting expeditions without the ducks.  Dungeness crab and occasionally salmon were on the agenda however.  The Taku Harbor excursions were also co-ed with Alison and her mom in attendance so dining was always of the first cut and caliber.  Thelma made a wicked Sunday brunch invariably featuring eggs benedict.  Very pleasant memories indeed.

 The Gadget and Captain Newt  Photo courtesy of Eric Swanson

 A beautiful boat  Photo courtesy of Eric Swanson

First Mate Doug  Photo courtesy of Eric Swanson

Lookin' for a nibble...  Photo courtesy of Eric Swanson

Sadly, the Gadget was sold a year or so after Newt's death.  As nice as the vessel was it was also an OLD wooden boat.  Pretty much a full-time job to keep up with the maintenance and it was time for lots of serious repairs - not of the sort that corn-fed bureaucrats like Doug, Eric or I could reasonably take-on.  At last report the Gadget was in Port Townsend...

So there you have it.  Have a great weekend everyone.  I am feeling the need for a very light workout and a steam bath.

No comments: