Friday, January 27, 2012

Space Cadets

I spent three days in Anchorage with an old high school pal who's had a very serious medical issue.  Fortunately, this visit was to remove a medical appliance since he is, for the moment, cancer free.  Everything went well.

It was seriously cold in Anchorage.  We stayed at Quality Suites which was quite nice.  Took the Alaska Native Medical Center (ANMC) shuttle bus to and from the hospital.  Worked well.

I have spent many, many weeks at Anchorage hospitals with my dad.  I was generally pleased with the care he received.  But I was REALLY, REALLY impressed by ANMC.  First of all, the facility is gorgeous - if that term is ever applicable to a hospital.  The artwork in the facility is amazing.

Sorry about the lighting...but this is one stunning piece of art

 Kinda looks like the crew I play cards with...

I really like this piece...a picture of a caribou body...with a protruding caribou head...and BIRDS!

But art aside, the atmosphere of the place was incredible.  Very friendly and relaxed - the staff was without fail courteous and helpful.  An outstanding facility in my opinion.

In other news, I got home on Wednesday night to find well over two feet of snow in the driveway. Woke-up Thursday morning.  The snow was still there - plus an inch or two or three.  SHIT!!!!

So...without further ado I proceeded to shovel.  A little shoveling work at mom's and that was about 4 1/2 hours.

Today - another three inches at my place.  Cleaned my digs, a little shoveling at mom's, and auntie's roof.  Another 4 1/2 or so hours.  I think I'm in good shape since the forecast is for no more than an inch or so tonight.  So...tomorrow I will shovel a path (this will actually be more like ditch digging) to my oil tank and will be caught-up at that point.

Finally, the Republican race to the bottom continues with Newt and Mitt in a serious lip-lock - although it seems that Newt may be fading - perhaps, in part, from his suggestion last night that we need a colony on the moon... 

I thought Mitt would counter with a promise we would ALL have Cayman Island bank accounts - but he threw away the opportunity...

As predicted, both candidates have been successful in pointing out the serious flaws in their respective opponent's characters and resumes.  The Pilsbury Doughboy VS the Empty Suit.  The Grand Old Party indeed...pretty sad.  The Republicans are simply not fit to govern..

Happy Trails!

No comments: