Monday, September 17, 2012

Lindstrom Endorses Obama for President

Well, don't hold your breath waiting for the title of this blog to appear on the AP wire; but nonetheless I will take this opportunity to urge my fellow Americans to cast their ballot on November 6th for Barrack Obama.

And while I do not expect any of my friends or even acquaintances are surprised by my choice, I nonetheless feel duty bound to state the reason for my endorsement.

To my mind the biggest challenge facing this country is obvious:  The mal-distribution of wealth in the country - the concentration of economic power in the hands of a relative few - threatens both our economy and our rights as citizens.

No, I am not a communist.  Marxism strikes me as fanciful as Christianity.

I am a pragmatist.  I am a realist.  And what I realize is that our economy and political system are threatened by an economic elite that is largely disassociated  from the wider American society and has adopted a quasi-religious economic world-view that says their collective rapaciousness is not only acceptable, but admirable.  Trickle down economics.  It is also the creed of one of our two major political parties.

To raise this issue is, as the Republican Party will tell you, "class warfare." 

My reply is simply that if you choose to look at it that way then you must agree that the war has been going on for a long time (at least since the Reagan Administration) and that most of the battles, thus far, have been won by the wealthy.  The numbers speak for themselves.  The poor get relatively poorer. The rich get relatively richer.  And the super rich are wealthier beyond belief

The Democratic Party and its standard bearer, Mr. Obama, are far from perfect.

There are any number of Congressional Democrats who I would refuse to invite into my own home - for fear of the silver and much else.

But there is no doubt in my mind which party, and which standard bearer, comes closer to recognizing my concerns.

AND THEREFORE IT IS WITH GREAT PLEASURE THAT I NOW ANNOUNCE MY ENDORSEMENT OF BARRACK OBAMA FOR PRESIDENT OF THESE GREAT UNITED STATES IN THE YEAR 2012.

So there you have it.

P.S.  Here is a suggestion that I have sent-on to the Obama folks for action if he is reelected.  I suspect it will happen - right after he confiscates all our guns.

I think it should be called the George W. Bush Proclamation.

Purpose:  Eliminate government waste and reduce the number of future political frauds

Proposal:  Reduce wasteful government subsidies to the undeserving rich by requiring all universities receiving any federal funds to refuse admittance to any student based on financial contributions to the university by the applicant's family, or the family's previous connections to the university, when said applicant does not otherwise meet the academic standards for admittance.

Analysis:  I recognize that this requirement may be opposed by many prestigious universities that depend heavily on contributions from wealthy private donors.  Therefore I propose a market-based exemption to ameliorate this potential problem.

All Universities will be given a "prestige rank" and allotted a certain number of exemptions.

A hypothetical institution, say an institution named "Harvard", could be given five exemptions to this prohibition and allowed to conduct an open air auction whereby rich kids who could not otherwise  meet the academic requirements for admission could be admitted. - the highest bidders prevailing.

Let's say someone named "Romney" bids $12.5 million to build a new dorm and it is the fifth highest bid.

And then someone named "Bush" bids $26 million for a new science lab.

Well, the dull-normal "Romney" kid would be shit out of luck. Might have to go to a "State" school or even get a job.  But what's the harm?  His or her parents are still really rich so he or she will probably do OK and maybe even have health insurance.

Over time these `reverse` scholarships would come to be known simply as "Bushies".

And a bunch of other smarter kids could get really good educations.

No comments: