Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Shoosting (Green Acres is the Place for Me!)

A rather pleasant day...the sun is shining...the Juncos are tweeting, and Enrique is contemplating taking the hound to the dike trail.  The temperature is right around freezing; but there is no wind.  In other words NOT a typical February day here in the rainforest. 

My yard is nearly snow free and this morning I walked the perimeter to see what's what.  There is no winter damage that is discernible aside from a minor washout in the flower bed I rehabilitated last spring.  I fear that this indicates that some drainage work may be in my future.  I noticed last year that the far western extremity of the property is fairly wet - water will drain from the fenced backyard into the lower yard and ultimately into the gravel.  I believe that some French drains may improve drainage in that area.  Since this project would require little more than manual labor of the digging and hauling gravel variety I believe it is therefore within my sphere of competence.  Better yet, it is something I can do in early spring which will keep me occupied until things actually start to grow.

In the same vein, I plan to construct some raised beds and flower boxes in the garage for putting out later.  Bottom line my garden jones can be satisfied before May - a very good thing.

Indeed, my first gardening efforts of the year are already showing some success.  I have 25-30 seedling dahlia sprouts after less than a week under the lights and over the heating pad.





This is what Lisa Douglas in 'Green Acres' would describe as seeds "shoosting."

I am going to have LOTS of plants...and I do not yet know how I will deal with them all.  But I will have great fun figuring it out.

In other news, I have done lots of cooking this past week and tomorrow is elder night here at the ol' homestead.  Today I will make a honey cheesecake and raspberry sauce for dessert.  I believe the rest of the menu will consist of Harvard beets, cauliflower au gratin, mashed potatoes and meatloaf.

A couple of days ago I made a very big pot of chicken with rice soup which was outstanding if I do say so myself.  Mom thought so too...

Well, off to the Club for a workout.  Then I'll pick-up Amanda and chauffeur her around on various errands.

Later gang.

No comments: