Monday, March 18, 2013

Cirque de CPAC

I wish I could take credit for the title of this blog entry; but I cannot.  I saw it on TV somewhere in the past couple of days although I do not remember where...

Still, unknown origins notwithstanding, it captures pretty well the festivities at the premier gathering of people who like to call themselves conservatives in this most peculiar era.  That whirring sound you hear I strongly suspect is Bill Buckley, Barry Goldwater and many others who considered themselves conservatives in a more traditional sense of the word spinning in their graves at very high speed.

I confess I am an assiduous reader and observer of all things CPAC for the simple reason that it is one-stop-shopping to get a finger on the pulse of the right-wing.  And this year's shindig did not disappoint.  I will not bore you with my blow-by-blow take on the event...but will content myself with a link to one of the more amusing summaries I have read - from The Daily Kos. 

And for those of you who have been wondering what happened to our former Governor Ms. Palin, a link to a You Tube video of her speech at the convention.  The crowd went wild.


Meanwhile, here on my little plot of planet Earth, life continues pretty much as usual.  No black helicopters.  No UN troops.  No Sharia law.  Just a disturbing cold spell that is predicted to include six inches of snow in the next day or so.  BOOOOOOO!   WE WANT SPRING!  WE WANT SPRING!

Tomorrow evening I will be hosting Manda, her friend Kira, and Enrique for supper.  I have already completed the Key Lime Pie.  And the Carrot Dill Soup is gently simmering as I type.  After soup I am thinking a berry salad with chevre dressing for a course.  And the main course will feature scallops in maple cream, filets of boef, parsleyed rice, and asparagus with some sort of vinegrette.  Followed, of course, by the aforementioned Key Lime Pie.

I am in a good mood.

No comments: