Sunday, October 4, 2015

Company Gone - Will Bob Return?

Bob Chapman left yesterday for home.  I very much enjoyed his company and I think his brother, John, sister-in-law, Cindy, and Uncle Don Milnes enjoyed his visit too.  John and I are working on him to make the move back to the ol' hometown.  He was non-committal but did not say "No".

Here are a couple of pics of the Chapman boys and Cindy I took at John's place.

 Bob and Cindy.  Not many October days us Juneau people can be out in our yards in the sun.  The furry creature is Mickey - a very nice dog about twice the size of Mischief but similar in demeanor.

John, Bob, Cindy and Mickey 

The Chapman Estate out North Douglas is really cool.  John and Cindy have put a lot of sweat equity into the property in the fashion that I am familiar with...pick and shovel work.  Lots of dirt and gravel to improve drainage.  They are on the edge of a muskeg...our temperate rain forest version of a swamp.  They have dug and filled with gravel lots of french drains.  The yard and garden are coming along nicely.  And they love what they're doing. 

I do believe they are fond of one another too.

I promise lots of pics from the Chapman digs next gardening season.  They just harvested 40 pounds of Yukon Gold and red taters.  I plan to plant a few spuds next year myself. 

On the home front I have been busy putting gardens to bed and enjoying every minute of our uncharacteristically dry first week of October.  Mom's and auntie's yards are now secured for the winter.  Mine is nearly so - today I dug my dahlias and raked more leaves.  I also put a bunch of stuff up in the rafters of the garage and a bunch more stuff outside for a dump run this week.

Tomorrow I will dig and toss the few remaining annuals in the garden and clean the garage.  I am inheriting Amanda's car for the winter and it will go in the garage.  I will use her spanking-new Suburu to transport the elders when a clean vehicle (as opposed to my filthy and fur-lined bark mobile) is called-for.     

It's predicted to be dry on Tuesday as well and I have penciled in a roof/drain cleaning expedition at mom's place.

Life is pretty damn good.

No comments: