Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Anybody Want My Stuff?

A slushy day yesterday...snow in the morning and a cold, cold rain in the afternoon.  Brrrrr.

It seemed like a good day for indoor work and Mom has been pestering me at regular intervals to get a  will drawn-up - so I spent the afternoon outlining the last will and testament of yours truly. It was not an unpleasant task, although the worksheet my attorney sent me didn't lend itself well to my vision.  I ended up with an extensive appendix. I have amused myself of late thinking-up quirky bequests; but in the end it turned-out looking pretty conventional.

I emailed the worksheet to my attorney and suspect I'll see a draft before long.  Does anybody want any of my stuff?  I won't be needing it when I'm dead...although I want to assure all hands that my goal remains to spend every last penny and wear-out all my shit.  Still, it's always possible I will get run over by a beer truck tomorrow and having a will is the prudent thing to do.

Meanwhile fallout from passage of health care reform continues.  The President is taking a well-deserved victory lap and the Republicans continue to bloviate and fume.

I did not watch the final Congressional debate on Sunday - it was a nice day and I had better things to do.  It was not until I caught some of the afternoon talking heads on TV Monday that I realized just how ugly the "debate" was in the House and that a mob of teabaggers had been roaming the grounds of the Capitol spitting on and hurling epithets at Democratic members.  The Palintologists were an ugly bunch - the scene looked like something from the streets of Berlin in the early 1930's.   

Meanwhile in Britain David Cameron, the leader of the Tories, is having a bit of a time taming some of his posh colleagues.  Elections are due this spring and one of the few promising electoral dodges available to the rather tired Labor government is branding the Conservatives as elitists.  Fortunately for Labor, some Tory MPs have been more than happy to aid the government in this endeavor as described in the New York Times on March 22nd.
What could be more embarrassing for a party trying to change its elitist image than the existence of someone like Sir Nicholas Winterton? A Conservative member of Parliament for the last 39 years, Sir Nicholas wandered disastrously off message recently when he decided to share his thoughts on why legislators should be allowed to travel first class to avoid exposure to the common man.

“They are a totally different type of people,” Sir Nicholas declared in a radio interview, speaking about the relative ghastliness of people in standard-class train cars. “There’s lots of children, there’s noise, there’s activity. I like to have peace and quiet when I’m traveling.” 

...

Many old-time Tories are leaving Parliament this year, including the unrepentantly first-class-loving Sir Nicholas. But there are more waiting in the wings. Last year, worried about how an impeccably pedigreed Tory candidate named Annunziata Rees-Mogg would go over with hoi polloi, Mr. Cameron suggested that she might want to campaign under the name “Nancy Mogg.”

She refused, although, to be fair, another candidate, the spectacularly named Richard Grosvenor Plunkett-Ernle-Erle-Drax, dutifully “de-toffed” himself by downgrading to “Richard Drax” on campaign posters.
Finally, both the Oregonian and the Seattle Times recently ran short articles on the 2010 James Beard Awards finalists.  Best Chef Northwest finalists are:
  • Jason Wilson of Crush in Seattle
  • Ethan Stowell of Ethan Stowell Restaurants in Seattle
  • Naomi Pomeroy of Beast in Portland
  • Andy Ricker of Pok Pok in Portland
  • Cathy Whims of Nostrana in Portland
In other categories Tom Douglas of Seattle is a nominee for best restaurateur and Portlander Gabriel Rucker of Le Pigeon for Rising Star Chef of the Year.

The awards are the "Oscars" of food and the awards ceremony will be at Lincoln Center in New York City in early May.

Bon Appetit

No comments: