Monday, March 1, 2010

Drizzly, Drippy and Dreary

Well, pretty quiet these days. The weather has been wet with the promise of more to come (serious rain and high winds predicted for today and tonight). I have for the most part been confined to quarters with the daily workout the highpoint of the day. Indeed, I have taken to making two visits to the gym on some days.

The elders have given me clearance for a short vacation. I am mulling over the possibilities. This morning I am tending to favor a couple of weeks in the Great Northwest - including looking at properties in Portland. On other mornings I have been enthused with a drive down the coast, a couple of weeks in Hawaii, or even a jaunt to the Florida keys.

My lack of ability to focus on a vacation is a symptom of a much more serious malaise, i.e., the realization that disengaging from Juneau remains extremely problematic and the prospect seems to be becoming more instead of less distant by the day. It is hugely depressing to contemplate.

Mom has now fully recovered from her knee surgery - her commitment to this winter being her last in Juneau long forgotten. And dad, of course, will be more than happy to run-out-the-clock sitting in his chair in Switzer Village. They seem utterly incapable of conceiving of life outside their trailer park ghetto. It's so sad.

Mom has taken to telling me to just leave - get on with a life - which she sincerely means. But of course that attitude will change in a heartbeat the first instant either she or dad has a serious problem.

It seems the very best I can hope for over the mid-term is some sort of commute - keeping my apartment here but getting a place in Portland too.

Such it is as Grandma Newman used to say...

Dad requested more chili...so I made another big batch yesterday. Feelin' the need to do some baking today...but not sure what...

Well, think I'll go have workout #1 and then over to Elderburg for the chores. And perhaps do my taxes which may help me make up my mind about an appropriate vacation...

No comments: