Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Beef and Reef

Another busy couple of days.  Monday was beef and reef night at the elders - I cooked filet mignon and scallops accompanied by  rice and carrots.  Mom made a great chocolate cake.  The groceries were well received.

Guests were auntie and cousin Sandra and daughter Amanda.  Amanda had a nice visit with the folks and appeared to enjoy the company.  On the way home she asked me if Aunt Emilie knew how funny she was...a question I was not sure how to answer.  Auntie is one of a kind...

Amanda and Cousin Sandra at supper at the folks.
 Dad mows through supper.  Living large at 95.  Beef and reef and a cocktail before supper.  Life is good.

Amanda is going to take the fast ferry to Sitka next week for a couple of days.  There is a really good job opening at Mt. Edgecumbe High School next fall for which she may apply - running the after school activities program for the kids.  Since Mt. Edgecumbe is a residential boarding school there are lots of activities to organize including outdoor recreation kind of stuff.  Sounds right up 'Manda's alley.  

Amanda will head south on May 11th.  A few days in the Great Northwest and then back to Southern California and the Painted Turtle Camp for medically needy kiddos.  Wish she had room in her suitcase for me...

Meanwhile in Portland, Leah started her new job on Monday.  Haven't heard yet how it's going...but I know she was very much looking forward to a salaried job with benefits.

Yesterday I finally got up to Auntie's to do some yard work.  I cleaned-up pretty good last fall so the flower beds were in fairly decent shape.  I dug out a number of perennials that had become infested with grass and transplanted a few things.  I also planted some phlox that I had divided at mom's earlier in the day.  The lawn looked pretty mangy - green in some areas and brown in others; but I gave it a quick mow so it at least looks presentable.  It was big time fun to be working in the garden.

The weather forecast is for rain showers the next few days but MAYBE a couple of nice days early next week.  I need two nice days in a row to hit auntie's yard with liquid moss killer and then 24 hours later I will rent the thatching device. Will thatch the Rickey/Elgee yard and maybe mom's at the same time.  Something to look forward to...

I have CSPAN on at the moment at the Democrats just failed again to break the Republican filibuster on the financial reform bill.  Yesterday's oversight hearing featuring the Goldman Sachs bandits was quite amusing.  Wonder how long this will drag on...

Later gang. 

1 comment:

Eric said...

Geez, I think we were contemplating the same question re. Emilie 35 years ago.