Saturday, April 24, 2010

New Shoes

A beautiful Friday in Juneau.  Sunny.  Temperature in the mid-50's.  Me and my new hiking boots put in quite a few miles at Dredge Lake and then on the Airport Dike Trail.  With a two hour workout at the club in the middle.  In total (including the treadmill) I'm guessing that would be a dozen miles or so...

My new boots are great!  No blisters or sore footsies today.  Amazing.

To my surprise there were not many waterfowl on the lakes by the glacier.  There were a number of mating pairs of mallards and buffleheads but nothing exotic.  So...I switched gears and followed a beaver around Chrystal Lake for an hour or so. 

The beavs are indeed busy in the Dredge Lake area.  A number of the trails are now impassable due to their industry.  Lots of places where there is nothing but gnawed stumps.  The guy (or gal) below was busy - although it was difficult to tell exactly what he or she was doing.  There are lots of beaver dams and lodges in the area that I'm sure require constant repair.  Or perhaps he was just swimming laps. In any event, every couple of minutes he would do the classic beaver alarm...thwack the water with his big beaver tail and then disappear for a minute or so.  I did not get any really good pics; but had fun trying.

Beaver on patrol on Chrystal Lake

Later in the afternoon it was off to the dike trail for a walk.  Lots of people and doggies.  I had waited until low tide for the walk in the hope that there would be a bunch of migrating waders in the sloughs.  Nope.  The wading migrants have yet to put in an appearance.  There were lots of ducks on the ponds, however, although the many doggies insured that the quackers kept a discreet distance from the trail. 

There were quite a few other birds around...a large number of American Robins who were busy collecting stuff for their nests.  Busy.  Busy.  Busy.

The robins are seriously into nest building...

I spent a good hour near the end of the trail circling some alders trying to get a good pic of the gal below.  There were lots of tweeties - at least some of which I am sure were Ruby-Crowned Kinglets.  I saw the orange crown on some. 

These boids are only 4 inches or so from beak to tail.  And they are CONSTANTLY flitting around.  Not easy to get a good pic.  By the time I can get focused (auto focus doesn't work worth a damn when you're in the trees with branches between you and the subject) the tweety has typically flitted away.  It's fun to chase 'em around for awhile.  And then suddenly it's not fun anymore.  Frustrating as hell, in fact.  So...you move on to the next clump of trees and then do it all over again. 

A Ruby-Crowned Kinglet - I think...

I haven't seen Amanda in a few days.  I believe she's been working every day at Annie Kails.  Cousin Sandra is in town and I'm cooking supper on Monday - hope 'Manda can join us.

Time to go to the folks.  The ol' coot's due for a bath...  And if I'm ambitious perhaps I'll mosey up to Auntie's for a little yard work...if I can resist the temptation to go for a walk.

Cheerio!

2 comments:

Eric said...

You are living proof of what many retirees have told me, which is they are busier now than they were prior to retirement.

Nice picture of the beaver. I was over there this morning and saw two. Also saw numerous fish hitting the surface of Chrystal Lake. Two joggers w/o dogs, three walkers with dogs, and numerous pairs of Mallards. Little baby Mallards will soon be on the scene.

What brand of boots?

Elmer Lindstrom said...

Montrail boots. But I am a tad less enchanted today. Dougie, Alison and I went to the Boy Scout Camp yesterday and by the time we got back to the car my feet were seriously abused. Guess I gotta break 'em in after all...

Had to wear sneakers today.

Just got home from stacking a cord of the best wood I've seen in a long time from Cousin Tatoo. That's cord #4 for the spring. Need to burn last year's wood in the shed before I get anymore.