Friday, April 22, 2011

A Nasty Bug

Ugh.  I've been sick for a couple of days.  I believe it's the same respiratory bug that laid auntie low a few weeks ago.  Serious wheezing and rattling in my chest.  It hurts when I cough. I'm guessing I caught it from one of the lads who installed mom's new pellet stove.  I noticed he was sniffling and coughing.  Sure hope mom and Linda don't get it...

Otherwise it's been a good week.  Amanda left on Wednesday and I cooked supper at mom's on Tuesday which was quite fun.  I made seafood fettuccine, stuffed mushrooms, asparagus in a vinaigrette and a strawberry mousse for dessert.  It seemed to be well received.  Amanda is always amused by Aunt Emilie and Tuesday night was no exception.  And she had a nice visit with mom.

I think Amanda enjoyed her stay.  Lots of excitement downtown with the folk festival.  She is considering moving back to Juneau this fall after her stint at the Painted Turtle in Cali.  She said that she was trying to look at Juneau through the eyes of a potential resident.  It was my impression that what she saw was distinctly a mixed bag.  Too much drinking and other substance abuse by her old friends.  And I think she believes we all dress and look kinda seedy.  No argument there.

On the other hand, she is confident that she could get a decent job with a decent salary and benefits here in Juneau.  And she very much wants to settle down after years of changing jobs and/or moving every six months or so.  Again, I certainly understand.

Bottom line:  the jury is still out...

I've been watching a lot of TV the past couple of days as I sniffle away on the couch.  A couple of fun food fight shows last night featuring a couple of Portland chefs whose food I have enjoyed immensely.  Naomi Pomeroy is featured on Top Chef Masters and Vitaly Paley opened up a can of whup-ass on Iron Chef Garces on Iron Chef America.

Here's a story from Oregon Live about Chef Pomeroy

A belated Happy Birthday to my ol' pal John Chapman - and a pic from a trip we took with our dads to Lake Hasselborg back in the day.

John and his dad Jerry on Lake Hasselborg back in the late 60's.
 

2 comments:

Eric said...

Great pic. I was at Hasselborg a few years ago. I think that same boat is still in service.

Elmer Lindstrom said...

The damn things leaked terribly even then...they were too long and twisty and the rivets would pop. I remember doing a lot of bailing...

But god I loved those trips to the lakes...