Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Congratulations James and Leah

A very busy and fun-filled weekend.  Alison's son, James, wed his long-time best friend, Leah, on Saturday at the University of Alaska Southeast's outdoor pavilion.   Leah is Tim Wilson's niece.  Two long-time Juneau families united in marital bliss. 

The wedding arch framed Auke Lake and the Mendenhall Glacier.  Very romantic.  The ceremony was extremely well done and was followed by cocktails, dinner and ultimately dancing.  The newlyweds are now cavorting in Hawaii.

The wedding was just the main event of the weekend.  On Sunday Dougie was grillmaster at his place for a fun party.  Got to visit with Tim for awhile and lots of other pals.  Great groceries as always.

The Friday night event stole the show, however - a whale watching charter with dinner.  I took so many pictures my shutter finger went numb.  Although that could have been from the wine I suppose...

We saw a few humpbacks and a few sea lions.  But it was front-and-center night for the killer whales.  We found ourselves among a pod I estimated to be between thirty and forty individuals.  I have NEVER seen so many orcas.  Way, way cool!  And while I had my people lens as opposed to wildlife lens I nevertheless managed to get a few decent shots.

No mistaking who this is...

Lots of moms, dads, and kiddos

Most of the cruise I spent making a nuisance of myself with my camera.  The lighting was tricky - lots of natural light (even some sun on occasion) streaming through the big picture windows while I'm trying to photograph folks in the relatively dark interior of the boat.  Sometimes my flash would go off and sometimes not. Lots of fiddling in photoshop the past couple of days.

The groom with Mother Alison, Aunt Lauren, Uncle Greg and cousins
  
The beautiful bride (right) and friend

I have a fairly large album I will share once Alison has properly vetted the pics.  But here are a couple more of various hangers-on...

 Dougie and Tim

Kim, Ray and Carol

A delightful evening...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Elmer:
I absolutely love reading your blog.
Tyson,Niamh Conor,Pippa and the new toddler Cora ( 21 month)are here visiting with us in Vancouver...reminds me of the time you took us around Juneau...and of course the invitation to stay with us anytime if you come down this way is always open.
Manfred& Sally
604-926-5075