Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Company Goes and Company Comes

Well, sorry about no posts - but I was under the weather with a really nasty cold for over a week.  Worst cold I've had in a number of years.  Still, it was just a cold and I am feeling much better...

Adam left yesterday.  He had a great visit and I certainly enjoyed his company.  I expect he'll be back up sometime this spring.  We had a few nice days while he was here including Saturday which was truly spectacular.  We walked out to the face of the glacier - couldn't have been more scenic.

 Roll out the barrel...

 Big berg on Mendenhall Lake - like an ice palace

 Time to start hiking back...

February doesn't get much nicer than this...

I will not be home alone for long however.  My good pal, Joan, is returning to Juneau for a short-term job for 90 days or so and will be my house guest.  Joan will arrive mid-March.  And Enrique and Nikki will be making a return appearance on the 24th - Enrique will be appearing in a production at Perseverance Theater.  Maddy the Dog will be accompanying Joan so I will have two doggies on premises for a couple of months.  Yippee!

I am ready for spring.  The days are getting longer.  All the snow was gone from the yard (unfortunately we got a couple of inches the past two days).  I washed the outside windows which were caked with salt spray from winter storms.  I spend an hour a day staring at the yard contemplating garden makeovers.  Still six weeks or so away from serious gardening however...

I have also finally coaxed some birds to the feeders in the back yard.  The Chestnut-Backed Chickadees are most prevalent; but they have now been joined by Common Redpolls and Pine Siskins.  A squirrel plays through from time-to-time.  There are two Bald Eagles who camp-out in a tree on the property most days.

 Chickadees drop seeds on the ground...

...where they are hoovered-up by Pine Siskins and Common Redpolls.   

Later gang.

No comments: