Monday, April 23, 2012

Getting Serious About the Garden(s)


Went up to auntie's and put in a little over four hours with garden clean-up today.  Raked real good and cleaned two of the flower beds.  Divided a few things and took as payment starts of our Alaskan Geranium, a Ligularia (The Rocket), an Avens, a few pieces of Japanese Iris and a ground cover with purple flowers the name of which escapes me at the moment.  Feel tired but satisfied.

Tomorrow morning I'll go get some soil and soil amendments for one of the 4 X 6 raised beds I built in my yard and will stick the acquisitions in the ground for safe-keeping.  Then I will zip back to auntie's to finish the bed clearing.  That should take care of tomorrow.

Wednesday I'm going to go to mom's and get a few starts of stuff.  She's got lots of Wild Iris that are quite spectacular when in bloom.  And maybe a few primroses if she can spare them.  Notwithstanding her very bad back mom has already spent a fair amount of time working in her yard.  She's got daffodils in bloom.

God I love getting outdoors.

In other news - well there really ain't much other news - so I will leave you with a couple more pics from this last week.

A raft of Surf Scoters at Slate Cove in Berner's Bay
Return of the Swans - Chillin' at Rotary Park

Finally, when I stopped at mom's the other day she was doing some spring cleaning - including dusting the frame of one of Aunt Emilie's oil paintings.  Auntie has some talent.  And she loved painting.  Why she refuses to take it up again is one of the many family mysteries that I do not pretend to comprehend.

This piece was painted on 8.5 X 11 typing paper for reasons unknown.  I need to take it to my friend John to have it properly framed and preserved.

Auntie's rendition of Juneau Harbor and the Northern Lights

2 comments:

yeractual said...

Just found your blog by serendipitous means - often the best way, I increasingly find! Great pix and an interesting place to live. I read Jonathan Raban's book some years ago and have been tempted when in Seattle to take a trip North - but my wife dissuaded me! Best, Iain.

Elmer Lindstrom said...

It's not too late, Iain! In about a week and a half our summer tourist season will begin. Some days we have five large ships in the harbor and I'm willing to bet that there are still a few berths left. It's a beautiful day today and I'm going to garden 'til hell won't have it!