Monday, April 16, 2012

Good Friends

Mid-April in Juneau.  The beginning of what passes as the "dry" season here in rain country.  And thus far it has lived up to expectations.  I actually considered watering the yard this past week.  This may strike some as odd, since it's not really green yet - even my primroses have just poked their noses above ground.  But the ground is pretty dry...

I have been taking advantage of the dryness to spend lots of time in the yard.  Initial raking and general clean-up is complete.  And late last week I built three 4 X 6 raised beds.  This may not sound like much of an accomplishment but let me assure you it pushes the limits of my construction skills.  Any project that involves more than a pick and shovel is a serious challenge for yours truly.

The dry and warm (60 degree) weather also heralds the kick-off of the BBQ season.  The season commenced last night with a 90th birthday gala for Roy, patriarch of the Rickey clan.  Grillmeister Doug outdid himself with ribs that were, in my humble opinion, the best of his estimable rib career.  And my baked beans with apple rum crust were nothing to sneeze-at if I do say so myself.

 The Grillmeister

All of the Rickey Clan and the usual hangers-on (like me) were present and accounted for.  Roy seemed quite pleased and looked pretty damn good - although he is moving pretty slow.  Still, I will be quite pleased to be moving at all if by some miracle I crack 90 years of age.

Lookin' good Roy

Roy and Jack swap lies

In other news, last night the state legislature limped to the end of its regular session.  And, in keeping with recent custom, the Governor immediately called a special session commencing on Wednesday.  The Governor is determined to reduce taxes on our poor unprofitable oil firms - you know the Exxon and BP guys.

But I digress.  The good news is that special session notwithstanding my dear friends Dave and Kris Gray threw their more-or-less annual end of session beach party.  Their place on Lena Point is one of my favorite places in the whole world.  I always tell Dave that he's lucky we're not related - 'cause I would most certainly kill to get my hands on his digs.  Hah!

But I digress again.  The really cool part of the beach party was a chance to visit with my old boss, Al Adams, who I had the privilege to work for back in the 1980's when he was Chairman of the House Finance Committee.  Al's going through some tough times with medical issues but he is still his same ol' self.  I am very fond of the man.

 Al and our host Dave

Marla, Elmer and Al

Marla and I were Al's budget staff when he was Chairman.  I was in my 20's at the time.  On the one hand, we've all held up rather well, I think.  On the other hand....sigh....

3 comments:

Leah said...

Looks like fun! Hope it's staying dry up there for you!

Elmer Lindstrom said...

You are still in your 20's dear. ENJOY EVERY MINUTE OF IT!

Elmer Lindstrom said...

A humorous addendum to my original post. Way back when...circa 1985 or thereabouts. Al, who was forty something at the time - started to have some vision problems, i.e., he needed reading glasses. Marla and I refused to take this problem seriously - although we were dispatched at regular intervals to Ben Franklin to buy reading glasses for our boss. NOTE WHAT IS HANGING IN THE BREASTWORKS OF BOTH MARLA AND YOURS TRULY IN THIS PIC. As Al used to say: "What goes around comes around." Hah!