Saturday, May 12, 2012

Tribulations

A very sorry and soggy week.  As I type, the rain is falling and the wind is whipping said rain into my window frame at what I estimate to be 40 MPH.  This is consistent with the weather forecast...and is the forecast for the next 24 hours.  So there you have it weatherwise...

It's seriously depressing.  I want to be working in the yard.  But sideways rain and a temperature in the low 40's is not conducive to outdoor activity.  In fact, I just won't go outdoors if I can help it. And the dogs feel the same way...

I was even more depressed when my oven went gunnysack yesterday.  I was in the middle of baking my roomie's birthday cheesecake.  The oven went from "bake" to "broil" of its own volition.  Not good for the cheesecake.  Then it started this beeping "must clean" thing.  And I could not shut if off.  So...to make a long and depressing story short...I am soon to be the owner of a brand new Jenn-Air oven.

I never particularly wanted a Jenn-Air - but apparently they have some very talented patent attorneys who have managed to lock-up the oven down-draft technology.  I did not request or desire a downdraft system but I have inherited one.  Kudos to the Jenn-Air legal department, I guess...  I'm sure the new stove will be lovely - and it damn well better be considering what I'm paying.

Our tourist season is now underway.  But the inclement weather is causing problems - Mr. E. Swanson reports that all whale watching trips were cancelled today.  With winds to 40 knots one can understand the cancellation.  When I hear "there she blows" I want it to refer to a whale as opposed to the middle-aged gal next to me blowing chunks.

I could make some political comments - Mitt the bully or banks too large to fail that might fail - but I'm just not inclined at the moment.

And I don't have any interesting new pics.  HOWEVER, for Juneau folks, I did learn something interesting this week.  I took a canvas in to my life-long friend  John Chapman, of Picture This, to have it framed, and he told me about a guy on Seward Street who can print photos on canvas.  I immediately legged it up to said locale for a look-see. The man appears legit and offers consultations, i.e. we can do test prints before a final print.  I will not mention his name or business 'till I try it out.

In the meantime, here's the print that John is framing for me.


 It will hang on my living room wall.  Took it in about 2006 and I still love it.

Tomorrow morning I will be picking-up trash as part of our local picking-up trash day thing.

Shalom.

2 comments:

Eric said...

You could have offered a picture of the cheesecake, post broil and clean.

That pic you are having framed looks to have been taken in the area my k9's and I frequent most days. Am I correct?

Elmer Lindstrom said...

You are correct. Winter of 2007. It is a fairly seriously photoshppoed concoction; but i like it. Artistic license... I'm looking forward to trying out the local guy on canvas prints; but as a senior citizen on a fixed income I need to wait 'til payday. Actaually I need to by a gas mower and weedwhacker this week. Still got your snow shovel handy? Mixed rain and snow tonight...