Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Alaska Coastal

Well, company gone.  The house feels pretty empty; but my last guest, Mr. Milnes, left a satisfied customer I do believe.  He was a hiking fool.  He managed all the trails downtown - Mount Juneau, Perseverance, Granite Creek and Mount Roberts.  And amazingly enough he only got drenched on one of the trips...

A bonus of his visit was a gift from another old classmate, Sandy (Kendler) Spickler.  Her dad flew for Alaska Coastal Airlines back when we were kids.  She discovered some old shots of Grumman Gooses, PBY's and even an old Bellanca sporting the Alaska Coastal colors.  I posted them on Facebook last week; but am going to post them here too - one at a time.  So without further ado here is installment #1 of the aforementioned Bellanca sitting in front of what is now Merchants' Wharf but was then the hanger and headquarters of Alaska Coastal.  This was mostly likely taken in the early 1950's - a mite before my time on this disreputable globe.  The Bellanca was the predecessor to the DeHavilland Beaver that became so popular around here in the 1960's.

Alaska Coastal Airlines Bellanca - way cool!

While I was working on the airplane pics I noticed a few blogworthy pics from this season that I had not previously posted. Here are a couple of birdies in the Sandpiper family.

A Lesser Yellowlegs - quite common on the Dike Trail walk

 Think this is a Western Sandpiper - but wouldn't bet the farm...

Also a couple of pics from the Jensen Arboretum I visited again last month with Joan and Alison.

Two serious gardeners...

A Gold Chain Tree - I think I need one of these...

Did the customary mowing chores on a couple of brief non-rain occasions and also a fair amount of cooking.  Made a big pot of Chili which I will slowly work my way through and some baking.  And last evening I had mom, sister, and nephew over for a halibut feed.  Hadn't had any halibut this year and it was mighty tasty.

Later gang.

No comments: