Thursday, August 23, 2012

Teething Troubles

An interesting week.  Went to the dentist on Monday - a follow-up appointment for the doc to check on how my bone graft was doing after six months.  Answer:  Doing fine.  In fact, so fine that he offered to do my implant right then and there.  I said "Why not?"

Well, the "why not" turned out to be that the bone was still too thin for the implant.  He drilled right through the bone into my sinus cavity.

Having someone enter your sinus cavity via a drill bit is something I had not experienced in my 56 plus years on this earth.  I was loaded-up with novacaine and it didn't exactly hurt.  It was more like getting an electric shock.  I jerked from my toes to my nose.  He said "Oh!"  And I said "aarmyghad" or words to that affect...as one often does when one has a mouth full of dental appliances.

He looked at me and looked in my mouth.  He then Tisk-Tisked a bit. The nurse pulled some of the hardware out of my mouth so we could have a conversation - the upshot of which was it was time to suture me up, wait a couple of months for some healing, and then try something called a "sinus push" that would allow him to seat the implant.  Hmmmmm.  OK.... 

He gave me a prescription for antibiotics.  I got it filled and went home and took a couple along with a couple of painkillers I had in reserve from the original tooth extraction.  Slept for about eighteen hours and woke-up feeling more-or-less fine.

Still contemplating the "sinus push" scenario; but I'll probably go for it.  The missing tooth is a hassle - can't chew well on my right side and my bite is completely different from the way it used to be.

Another getting older thing....  And of course the "sinus push" will add a few thousand to the tab.

Shit.

In other news, just finished cleaning-up after supper.  Mom and sis came over for beef stroganoff.  It was tasty; but not on the top ten list as far as the elders are concerned.  Dessert was a hit however.

Got my lawn done on Tuesday and will do mom's and auntie's in the next couple of days - weather permitting.  The days are getting noticeably shorter.  It's only 8 PM and it's already getting dusky.  Shit, again.

So, on a more cheery note, here is picture number three of the Alaska Coastal series.

An Alaska Coastal Goose, Pan Am DC 6 and Pacific Northern Constellation

This is my favourite pic of the set.  I remember similar scenes like it was yesterday.  Only wish I had a better picture of the Connie.

Later gang!

No comments: