Monday, August 27, 2012

Another Roadside Attraction

My friend, Martha, is on a cross country adventure with her elderly white Labrador, Bailey.  They are driving from the Shenandoah Valley in Virginia to their new home on Whidbey Island, Washington.  On the road towing an Airstream.

The Bailey & Martha Mobile 

Martha and I have been texting.  Here are some excerpts.

Martha:  A wonderful couple from Baltimore my first night.  Invited Bailey and I to walk down to the lake and back.  Then to their campfire.  State parks allow no alcohol nor imported wood.  This couple had imported both, the wood hidden under tarps in their pick-up, the wine coolers masked by those foam wraps.

Tonight my neighbor and his wife are Tea Partyers.  Gave them three ears of corn and dismissed myself.

Elmer:  Just tell 'em you know Sarah Palin personally and I'm sure they'll bust out their best corn likker.

Martha:  Can't remember if I told you about the horses night before last.  The horses were included in the Ohio state park pet category.  Down the path from me was a couple in a tent, with horses tied and neighing outside.

Elmer:  Where are we going Wilbur???????

Martha:  I think they wanted in the tent.

Elmer:  Lol.  Now that would be weird - even for the heartland.  Probably wouldn't even play well in Peoria...

Martha:  Chlicothe, Illinois.  North of Peoria.  Had never heard of it, but it's here.  Tonight burgers and corn on the cob.

Elmer:  I have seen video suggesting that corn on the cob is a favourite of your companion.  And I'm sure she wouldn't turn-up her nose at a burger either.  

Corndog

Martha:  A black Corvette rolled beside me on the interstate.  On the side was white lettering:  "The Bones Brigade".  As it pulled ahead it was towing a casket on wheels.

Elmer:  Hmmm.  A Corvette...a babe magnet that has withstood the test of time.  A casket...not so much...  The driver (I'm assuming of the male persuasion) seems to be working at cross purposes.  This requires some serious thought...

 Roughing it...

Martha:  Minnesota!  Didn't have time and too hot for Bailey to check out the Museum of Grout in Iowa.

Elmer:  Ya sure.  You betcha.  Iowa was never on my list of places I needed to see.  But the Museum of Grout?  Well, that changes everything...

Stay tuned, gang! 

No comments: