Friday, April 1, 2016

First Post of the Year

Welcome to 2016.  So far it has been most noteworthy on two fronts.  The political - which I may or may not get into later.  And the meteorological.

We started 2016 already well into an El Nino event which typically means a warmer and wetter winter than normal.  The El Nino intensified as did the typical effect on Southeast Alaska.  From December until the present it has been abnormally warm although the precipitation has not been extraordinary.  What has been extraordinary is that almost all of the precipitation has been rain.  I have not shoveled snow once in months.

There is NO snow anywhere near sea level around Juneau and there has not been for almost two months. 

About three weeks ago I spotted the first Trumpeter Swans on the lakes where I walk the dogs.  That's about a month early. 

In late February I had a lot of shoots appearing in the garden.  A recipe for flora fatalities most years. 

But March was warm and forgiving and now on April Fool's Day I have a garden that, in many respects, I would typically expect to see the first week of May.  Several shrubs are completely in leaf.  My rock garden has blooms!

So...here are the first gardening post pics of the season:

 Had three bio-domes going in early February. 

 Everything is all potted-up as of today.  I have a total of four flats.

I've got six planters in my bedroom and five in the extra bedroom.  Begonias, Geraniums and Dahlias wintered over in the garage. 

But in the rock garden things are already happening.  A primrose pal. 

Woohoo!

Yesterday I finished raking the yard and hit the turf with 60 lb. of moss kill.  Also tidied-up the four big box raised beds.  Today I transplanted a few perennials from Point A to Point B and rehabbed the beds in the dog yard. 

God it's nice to be outdoors!
 

No comments: