Monday, April 25, 2016

Rehab Complete

It took three days of four hours or so (all I can stand to do in one day in my advancing years) to rehab the "island bed" in the front yard.  Serious pick and shovel action.  I'm afraid I took out quite a few roots from the Spruce tree; but I'm optimistic no serious damage was done.  There was virtually no real soil in the bed.  Just the original fill which is very sandy - great drainage but no organic material and lots of small to medium sized rocks.

I tapered the digging; I dug less deeply the closer I got to the Spruce so the new soil is deeper in the front of the bed and less so in the middle.  Seemed like a sensible approach.  Not that I really know what I'm doing...

I dug out all the salvageable perennials.  A few didn't make the cut that were too infested with grass or weeds.  I replanted some and will replant others in different locations in the yard.

Here's the final result.




 Tomorrow I will mow and weed whack - weather permitting.  And I will pot-up some stuff in my closet into gallon containers.  Some of the perennials I have started the past few years have done well.  But many have not made it through the first winter.  So...the gallon pot treatment for part of the latest seedlings.

And after that...it's plant buying season.  Annuals and a few perennials.  God I love Spring.
 

No comments: