Thursday, April 21, 2016

Project Island Rehab

My big project for the Spring garden season is to rehab the "island" bed in the front yard.  I have not done so previously simply because the stuff planted there was doing OK and I had other fish to fry.  But the time has come!

The "island" is simply where additional fill was mounded when the house was constructed to create a raised bed on the cheap in the front yard.  The previous owners were judicious in their selection of plants for the bed and it worked reasonably well.

But I would like a little more variety so its time to spend a boatload of money on dirt and colored concrete.  Woohoo!

Both my Jeep and I are getting older.  We let Home Depot do the loading at the store and delivery.

 The "island" has become a tangle.  Without a border grass gets thrown into it every time I mow.  And the soil is rocky, sandy and without nutrients.

Time for a change.  And luckily nothing required but money and manual labor.

I like it. The temporarily orphaned primroses and lilies are resting in the bait buckets for a day or two. 

Gonna have to get a lot more soil though.  Hopefully I can get another pallet of the reasonably cheap stuff.  This is almost half of what I bought. 

God I love Spring.

No comments: