Monday, June 9, 2008

Let Loose the Hounds

On Friday morning I took Joan Kasson to the airport. She's spending a couple of weeks with her folks in the Boise area. I readily agreed to board her two hounds - Tucson, the Basset Hound, and Jasper, the Dachshund. I'm also stopping by her house daily to feed Skelter the cat.

The hounds and I are still working out the living arrangements. My apartment seems smaller all of a sudden. Jasper and I are engaged in a deep philosophical discussion regarding the nature and use of power and authority. Jasper thinks he is lead dog; and I feel compelled to differ. To date I have more-or-less prevailed simply by force majeure; but I suspect the coniving little bastard is plotting a break-out.






Above: Jasper searches for a weakness in the security fence. "The screws think this place will hold me - but it's just a matter of time before I'm on the lam"


I am a longstanding Basset Hound fan. And Tucson is a fine representative of the breed. Tucson is a live-and-let-live kinda guy. He is amiable. He is well behaved. He does not make unreasonable demands. In short, he is a gentleman - although perhaps not the brightest star in the firmament.


Above: Jasper is a bad influence on Tucson. "Tell me the rabbit story, Jasper!"

Dachshunds, or at least Jasper, has none of these endearing qualities. He pesters. He plots and schemes. He is self-centered to the point of megalomania. He wakes up his roomates in the middle of the night by noisily copulating with his squeaky sex toy. He's a pain in the ass.


Above: Jasper's squeaky sex toy.

Stay tuned for more on the adventures of Elmer, Jasper and Tucson!

No comments: