Monday, June 30, 2008

Happy Birthday Stu

It was Stu Rickey's birthday on Saturday and a few of us joined him at the Prospector after work on Friday to wish him well.

Saturday it rained off-and-on all day. I spent most of the day reading a biography of Eisenhower by Michael Korda. "Ike - An American Hero" although 750 pages is pretty user-friendly - you don't have to have a doctorate in U.S. history to enjoy it. Not exactly summer beach material; but I would recommend it to anyone interested in WWII or 20th century history generally.

In mid-afternoon the landlord called and told me to look out my bedroom window. Our deer friend was taking a rest in back of the house. I watched her for quite awhile. Nice looking animal.

Taking a rest at the back of my residence...we've had lots of deer in the neighborhood this year!

I went over to Alison's and Doug's for supper on Saturday and had a good time. Joan Kasson and John Greely were also guests.

Yesterday, I got moving early and hiked-up Pereverance Trail . There's still lots of snow at the end of the trail. I took lots of flower pics on the walk and now need to try to identify a bunch of stuff. The most interesting to me were two species - one with yellow flowers and one with purple flowers - that I'm sure are violas. Both were very widespread around the turnoff to the Granite Creek Trail.

Unidentifed viola species on Perseverance Trail



A veritable garden - the wild geraniums and columbine were in full flower

After the hike I mowed and raked mom's yard. Then supper at the elders. It was a very pleasant Sunday.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Excited to see you in a week or so! Ended up getting a 18-135mm lens and I LOVE IT! Much better zoom than before. I took lots of pics in Cali, I'm sending them out on Snapfish soon!