Thursday, June 19, 2008

More Walkies

We had a beautiful Tuesday and Alison and I took the hounds to the dike trail for a walk. Too long a walk as far as Tucson was concerned...I wasn't sure he would make it back to the car. As payback, he had me up to let him out at 1 AM, 3 AM, 4:15 AM and 5:30 AM the next morning. A little lower tract issue.... We took yesterday off - just did a couple of short walks near the house. We did startle a deer in the neighbor's yard last evening resulting in some serious howling.

Alison has developed an interest in birding. (By the way, Alison, you should camp-out in my driveway some night. The 3 AM tweetfest is damn near deafening.) So on the dike trail she was looking in the trees for warblers and the like and I was looking at the flora on the ground.

Indeed, we were so engrossed in our respective pursuits that we lost track of Jasper on the last segment of the outbound trip. He doubled-back on the trail to spend some quality time with a couple of gals enjoying a picnic with their young kids. I believe Jasper cadged a half a ham sandwich. The boys are always on the mooch.

I didn't have my 200mm telephoto lens with me on the walk; but I did get close enough for one decent pic of what Alison identified as a Lincoln Sparrow.


Lincoln Sparrow on the Airport Dike Trail

Tomorrow is supposed to be quite nice so we'll take the dogs out for another adventure - maybe a bit of the West Glacier Trail.

THEN AND NOW

I've done a fair amount of work at my aunt's place this Spring (lots more that could be done, of course). So here's a couple of pics of her front yard in 2008 AND a pic of the same front yard in about 1959. The 1959 picture features yours truly, Aunt Emilie, and her two cats - Inkle M'lord Schilling Battler Lindstrom the First and Twinkle Toes, aka, Ink and Twink.


Aunt Emilie's front yard.



The Japanese Iris naturalize very well.

Elmer Alan (also known as Little Elmer at this time), Emilie, Ink and Twink.

No comments: