Friday, October 24, 2008

Counting the Days

I heard at the Club yesterday that we were within a day or two of setting a record for most days of consecutive rainfall. I don't doubt it for a second. We've had two big storms blow through in the past three days - big time wind and rain.

So...it is with very little regret that on Monday morning I set-sail for the Southland. Might even try some hominy and grits. And of course, hush puppies - which I believe are cornmeal cakes fried in fat. Good and good for you... Come to think of it, I better make sure my prescription for my cholesterol meds is filled.

As is now customary, I will be lugging-around 25 pounds of camera gear as well as my laptop and will do my best to keep you amused and abreast of my travels. Here's the basic itinerary:

October 27th - fly to Seattle (AS 72) and on to Washington D.C. (AS 2).
October 28th - Sightseeing in D.C. and dinner with Martha Stewart.
October 29th - Stop in Mount Vernon and then drive to Charlottesville, VA. I will be staying at the Dinsmore House Inn http://www.dinsmorehouse.com/
October 30th - Sightseeing in Charlottesville and vicinity - Monticello and the University of Virginia are top attractions. There's also a nice golf course operated by the University.
October 31st - Drive to Williamsburg. I'll be staying three nights at Magnolia Manor http://www.magnoliamanorwmbg.com/
November 1st/2nd - Sightseeing around Williamsburg - Colonial Williamsburg, Jamestown, Yorktown, and Norfolk are all attractions. Also the College of William & Mary.
November 3rd - Hit the road for South Carolina. I may drive straight through to Hilton Head (about 9 hours) or I may lay-up somewhere if I get tired.
November 4th /11th - Golfing and sightseeing with Dougie and Alison at their condo (need to get the address this weekend). I suspect we'll drive-up and spend at least one night in Charleston.
November 12th/13th - Drive back to D.C. I need to be at the airport by 2 PM or so - I will spend the night somewhere enroute on the 12th. Perhaps in the Raleigh/Durham area which is supposed to be nice. Or I may drive the coastal route.
November 13th - Fly to Seattle. Overnight at a hotel at Sea-Tac.
November 14th - Fly to Juneau (AS 75).

So there you have it...the Fall Victory Tour East Coast Swing.

In other news, I have eagerly been awaiting the Uncle Ted verdict for three days. But it sounds like the jury is wrapped-around the axle pretty tightly. Too bad. I was hoping for a quick conviction on at least one count. The Washington Post is now reporting that the jury has been excused until at least Monday and maybe until Tuesday due to a death in one of the juror's families.

Right now I see a mixed rain and snow shower out the window - no, make that hail. There's even a chance for a thunder shower (with more hail I would expect) this afternoon. A change of pace anyway...

Most of the leaves have now been stripped-off the trees by our recent windstorms. Many of them are now residing in my elder's gutters which I need to clean-out before I leave. But that can wait for tomorrow when we're only supposed to have frequent showers and not much wind.

I'm going to go have a workout and then haul a bunch of my old "work" clothes over to St. Vincent de Paul. I had all my dress shirts laundered and starched and most of them are still in pretty fair shape although I noticed that a number of them were purchased at Klopfensteins which has been out-of-business for something like fifteen years. Gonna take 'em a boatload of ties, too. Most of my suits still fit...guess I'll hang-on to a couple although I'm not sure why.

I was thinking maybe Sarah could take me shopping for some snazzy retirement duds. Reckon I'll take a jacket and tie back East...don't really know what to expect in the way of fine dining dress codes in that neck of the woods. And I will be going someplace nice in D.C. I'm sure...

I'll post again this weekend if anything interesting occurs. Otherwise it will be DATELINE WASHINGTON.

Have a great weekend everyone.

No comments: