Thursday, October 30, 2008

A Crisp Fall Day

Greetings from Charlottesville, Virginia and the lovely Dinsmore Inn. I'm staying in the "James Madison Room" and typing away at a beautiful antique writing desk. I just had a fine breakfast of bacon, blueberry pancakes, juice, and coffee and am contemplating the day's agenda. It's clear as a bell this morning, no wind, and about 35 degrees. A classic Fall day.

Yesterday I visited Mt. Vernon. It was great fun although a tad blustery. I spent about three hours roaming the grounds and, of course, took the mansion tour. I took lots of pics but haven't had the ambition to process them yet. Maybe later today.

The drive from D.C. to Charlottesville was very nice. There's lots of fall color - although the foliage is past it's peak in D.C. Still plenty of orange and red here, though, and it will get greener as I move south.

Today I'm going to visit Monticello and wander around the University of Virginia campus. Take another boatload of photos. Tomorrow I will drive over to Williamsburg. It's supposed to get warmer as we head into the weekend...should be around 70 on Saturday.

Last night I wandered into the old part of Charlottesville which has been turned into a pedestrian mall with lots of restaurants, galleries and the like. Had a couple of glasses of good Italian wine at a wine bar called Enoteca and then supper at a nice Italian joint called Fellini's #9. They had live music - a folksy trio that was pretty good. I sat at the bar for supper and visited with a number of folks - mostly youngsters most of whom are students (as are all the wait staff). As always, I like the feel of a University town. Folks are very friendly.

I sure enjoyed my visit with Martha. I hadn't seen her in a couple of years - she hasn't been to Juneau for awhile - and it's the first time I had a real chance to talk to her in many, many years. She is the same delightful person I knew in our years together working for Al Adams - still obsessive about politics although her canvas is much bigger now than in Juneau times. She is very close to Senator Stevens and his staff on both a personal and professional level and his conviction is causing her a great deal of heartfelt concern.

I just read the morning newspapers and it sounds like all the national Republican leaders are pigpiling on the resignation bandwagon. In Alaska, the Republicans are apparently split with some calling for Uncle's head and others saying he should stay the course. The only new poll numbers I've seen show Begich now ahead of Stevens by about 8 points.

I cannot say that I have shed any tears over Uncle's demise - it's long past time for a change. On the other hand, Stevens did have many legitimate legislative accomplishments over the years - his bipartisan work on fisheries issues for example - and now his legacy has turned to ashes.

Well, time to get on with the day. I leave you with one photo from the FDR memorial on the Mall:

Hey, buddy, can you spare a dime?