Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Spa Day

A busy morning. We got three or four inches of fresh powder last night so I had to do a little shoveling at Joan's, the elders' place and my apartment's stairs. I need to chop ice at Joans. It is now warm enough in the sun that the snow melts during the day and then freezes solid at night so their is lots of glaciation that needs to be removed. Borrowed the ice chopper from my folks.

Also, today was Spa Day for the old coot. He takes a shower twice a month whether he needs it or not (and it is his personal belief that he does not). I have to help him out of the shower and between mom and I we get him more-or-less presentable. He's never been real big on the personal hygiene thing...I remember as a youth being appalled by some of his behavior - particularly on the boat when mom was not present to give him hell. Still, he's 94 so maybe there's something to be said for cultivating lots of personal tiny livestock. His immune system seems fine.

The ol' boy is spending lots of time watching Fox News. He is deaf as a post but Fox thoughtfully provides a ticker at the bottom of the screen that runs headlines based on their own peculiar take on the news of the moment. I have considered programming the TV so he can't get the Fox channel - but I guess that would be unkind. This morning he was thoroughly pissed-off that Hillary Clinton was giving money to the Palestinians.

Fortunately, baseball season starts in a couple of weeks and that will keep him entertained. Occasionally he manages to find something else on the tube that suits his tastes - Laurel & Hardy, the Three Stooges, or an old episode of Benny Hill. I've been over for supper frequently of late and we both have a cocktail before dinner. Booze & Seven-up. His mind still seems perfectly fine...his flirtation with Fox News notwithstanding.

I've got feelers out all over the web for sweet deals on a spring cruise...but so far the news has all been discouraging in terms of single occupancy. Still, hope springs eternal...

No comments: