Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Wing-Nuts

I continue to entertain myself by following-up on various aspects of the recently concluded CPAC convention. The Daily Beast piece includes several videos that are quite amusing. It can be found at: http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-and-stories/2009-03-02/the-wildest-moments-from-cpac/

I was particularly taken with the interview of a Mr. James Hutchens, founder of something called The Jerusalem Connection International, described by the reporter as a Christian Zionist group. These are the folks who support Israel - believing that the re-founding of the Temple being a necessary precursor to the Second Coming of J C, the End Times and so forth.

Mr. Hutchens is quite charming in a bizarrely naive sort of way. He is apparently incapable of thinking abstractly in the slightest degree. Irony is not his thing nor, apparently, is 20th century history. Mr. Hutchens takes everything quite literally as demonstrated by the following exchange:

Inside CPAC’s exhibition hall, I met James Hutchens, founder of the Christian Zionist lobbying group, The Jerusalem Connection International. Hutchens told me his group favored forcing the Palestinians from the West Bank to Jordan and from the Gaza Strip to Egypt. I asked him if he thought cattle cars would be an efficacious means of transporting the Palestinians to their new homes. “Certainly not cattle cars,” Hutchens said. “I mean, you can ride a bus across the Jordan River to Jordan.”
In other news, I will return to the comfy confines of my apartment tomorrow as Joan's friend, Bobbie, will be spelling me on 10th Street. Joan continues on family duty in Boise.

Yesterday I stocked the pet larder with groceries from the Wee Fishie Shop. Skelter the Cat eats Science Diet Senior Hairball Formula - a name that for some reason just puts me in stitches. All four-legged friends are doing just fine and I will miss their company.

From the Archives:

Tim Wilson dressed for success at the rock dump where we had a great time driving his go cart.

Jim Larson makes his point by brandishing a chicken drummie at the cast party for Fiddler on the Roof. Photo Courtesy of the Doug Rickey Gallery


Sarah Lynn Plotnick circa 1974. She's still a cutie in 2009.

Good ol' Soc Kruezenstein.

3 comments:

Eric said...

I remember driving that go-kart out on North Douglas. That is a great pic of Tim. The other memory I have of the go-kart is the Japanese exchange student the Wilsons were hosting in about 1972 driving the kart off the ND Highway, flipping it over and over, and emerging with a smile and no injuries! Those were the days.

Elmer Lindstrom said...

The exchange student, Misaki Ewataki (or something like that). He was a very serioud guy...don't think he ever really figured out what to make of us.

You're right, it looks like this pic was taken out North Douglas...the go-cart memory that sticks in my mind was tearing-around on the old "million dollar" golf course out Thane.

Tim said...

Masaki Iwataki. At my mother's 82nd birthday gather on Sunday, we were talking about Masaki. Thanks alot Eric! If my mother finds out about that crash I am in deep trouble!!

That was a fun little kart-unfortunately the turning radius did not lend it to highway driving.