Monday, August 3, 2009

Jurassic Park

A very fun hike up to Granite Creek Basin on Saturday.

Garrey and Karen Peska joined Alison and I for a hike up Perseverance trail

Alison and I continued up the Granite Creek trail to the upper basin. It was an overcast but comfortable day. SO GREEN!!! Alison decided that the area looked like something out of the first Jurassic Park movie - when the helicopter zooms through the tropical island. Well, it's definitely NOT tropical - but it's equally lush.


Lots of wildflowers. Stuff just starting to bloom in the mountains that has bloomed-out at sea level.

Almost there Alison!

It's possible that I slightly understated the elevation gain in the hike...


The upper basin at Granite Creek is really quite beautiful


Looking the other direction from the pic above. The first step is a doozy.


Looking up into Last Chance Basin from the beginning of the Granite Creek trail

I just love this area. It always amazes me that once you start up Basin Road - only a quarter mile from the State Capitol - you're in another world. Leave your cares behind...

In fact, I love the area so much I'm going to hike it again this evening. A friend of Martha Stewart's is in town on business from Washington D. C. and I'm tour guide. He got in yesterday afternoon and we did the Shrine, glacier, and downtown tour bit. This evening it's time for some hiking!

The weather is going to be nice all week. Although there is a LOT of smoke in the area. The Yukon is aflame. Looking out the window I see a big orange ball through the trees that I'm trusting is the sun. And I cannot see the mountains on Admirality Island this morning due to the smoke. In fact, I just got a cup o' Joe and looking out the front window I can barely see Outer Point. YIKES! Can't really smell anything, though, so I'm assuming we're not under a health watch of some sort.

Later gang!

No comments: