Monday, August 17, 2009

Vicious, No Account, Cheatin' Card Sharks

A very low-key weekend - first of the fall season, I'm afraid. Heavy rain yesterday and today - flood watch posted for Montana Creek. On Saturday evening I enjoyed a great supper courtesy of Alison - a very delicious pork shoulder with an outstanding risotto accompaniment.

Sunday afternoon featured a generally friendly game of cards with all the Rickey siblings, Alison, and myself. I say "generally" friendly because everyone at the table (myself excepted, of course) are known cheaters and cannot be trusted for a second. In fact, come to think of it, the game is not friendly at all - more like guerrilla warfare accompanied by a vicious propaganda campaign of mud-slinging, character assassination and libel. In other words, big time fun. And I actually made a couple of bucks. Heh. Heh.

We played at the Elder Rickey's home - Doug's dad, Roy, just got back from Seattle and hip surgery and is adjusting to reduced mobility. He's 86 and exhibits all of that generation's traits - of which I have more than a passing familiarity.

And speaking of that generation, I offer an article in today's Seattle Times entitled "Grandfather survives broken hip, cougars" for your enjoyment:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2009674792_grandfather.html

The week ahead promises to be generally wet. I will return to my rainy season routines. Chores at the elders in the morning, a good workout, some cooking or reading, perhaps another workout...

I will continue to seek-out and book interesting lodgings for my fall vacation. Doug's sister, Lisa, provided a hot tip yesterday - the White House Inn in Southern Vermont - just a few miles from Brattleboro.

http://www.whitehouseinn.com/

Also quite spendy - weekend fall leaf peeping rates. YIKES! I will meditate on it for a few hours... Having a tough time in Boston, too. Way more pricey than Portland or Seattle for 4-star digs... On the other hand, what the hell? I'll be grounded in Juneau for the following five months or so...

Later gang.

2 comments:

Eric said...

Reading this on my friend's deck in Kirkland, Wa. 7:30 pm, 75 degrees, working on my 4th Fosters. Supposed to be 80 plus tomorrow. All things considered, I think I would rather be here.

Elmer Lindstrom said...

I am tempted to lash-out; but I will have my revenge soon enough...

What will you be doing next month? Heh. Heh.