Monday, May 30, 2011

Haunting Averted Yet Again

Well, happy Memorial Day everyone.  And a right beauteous one here in Juneau - clear as a bell with highs predicted in the 70's.

As previously mentioned, my family is under strict orders from long-since departed Grandma Newman to put flowers on her grave on Memorial Day.  She indicated that if we failed in this simple task, she would come back and give us no end of grief.  So...once again...haunting has been averted.

It is also Dad's first Memorial Day as a resident of Evergreen Cemetery.  He seems to be doing fine...he's been fertilizing the family plot since last September.  Last week the City folks set his headstone.

The family plot's newest resident.  He's settled-in just fine.

Mom and Linda admire their handiwork. 

Dad is sharing a plot with his mom and step-dad as well as Linda's late husband, Russ, and Aunt Emilie's daughter Jan.  I suspect we'll all be planted here sooner or later...

In other news, took a walk on the Auke Lake trail with Joan and the hounds yesterday.  It was cool and misty; but the trail is very nice.  We identified a new (to me, at least) plant.

Caltha palustris subsp. asarifolia "Marsh Marigold"

The hounds were puzzled by my interest in the flora

Mom and I also completed the gravel drill and the place looks pretty good.  She's now reseeded part of the front lawn which looked pretty ratty.  The soil is very acid from constantly falling spruce needles and we have not been attentive to putting lime on it.  Also, there was a pretty hard freeze before we got any snow and I think that also took it's toll.

I also managed to mow Auntie's lawn this week and plant a few more bedding plants.  Her place looks pretty good, too, if I do say so myself.

Well, just about time to head for the airport.  I'm going to have company for a week - a friend from Portland who is hot to go salmon fishing.  If the weather holds I believe Eric is going to take us out tomorrow.

Finally, congratulations to Joan who is poised to become an ex-wage slave for the State of Alaska as of this Wednesday.  Sadly, (for me, not her) she will soon be headed south to Nampa, Idaho where she plans on taking up residence near her dad.

Later, gang!

No comments: