Friday, May 13, 2011

Howdy Cousin!

A pretty fun week.  I found myself standing at the bottom of the gangway of the Norwegian Pearl at 7 AM on Wednesday morning - holding a sign that said "Justin."  Justin is a cousin several times removed who lives in Tucson with his wife Christine.  I had never met them before but as always was delighted to spend the day being Juneau tour guide.

Justin and Christine disembarked and we went to pick-up Aunt Emilie - then off to mom's for coffee.

 Auntie and Justin look at pet pictures

Emilie tells a story...

Mom and Justin

After coffee it was off to the Glacier for sightseeing.  

The whole crew at the glacier

As we started walking to the visitor's center Justin spotted a black bear high in a tree just south of the parking lot.  Yogi was attracting lots of attention and was in a photogenic frame of mind.  Unfortunately I did not have my long lens with me but even so you can certainly get the drift...

Yogi was way up the tree...

...with little visible means of support

But he seemed totally unconcerned

After the glacier stop we were off to the Shrine which was beautiful as usual.  On the way back to town we stopped at Lena Point and lo and behold there was a large pod of killer whales...about a dozen.  Just wish I had my long lens...sigh...

 The orcas were trolling for salmon just like everyone else

Not a great pic...but it seems I never have the right tools at the right time

So...a very successful guiding trip.  I think the cousins were quite pleased.  I got them back to their ship and they were soon off for Glacier Bay.

Yesterday was kinda wet; but the forecast is now for a few days of great weather.  Yippee!

No comments: