Sunday, June 28, 2015

A Good Week for Progressives

My, what a difference a week makes...

First out of the gate was the 6-3 United States Supreme Court ruling on the Affordable Care Act affirming the obvious intent of the law to provide tax subsidies to low income folks who enroll for coverage on state exchanges run by the federal government.  Given the context of the dispute relative to the entire Act it's hard to believe that three of the justices voted otherwise.  But such is the state of our Union.

Having hardly time to digest this serious news my morning coffee was equally discombobulated the next morning by the 5-4 decision on gay marriage.  Woohoo!

Actually, the Vegas odds on both these cases were pretty one-sided.  I was not surprised at all by the results although that did not much diminish my enthusiasm in either case.

What did surprise me was President Obama's eulogy for the Rev. Pinckney in Charleston.  It was the most moving and inspired Presidential address I have heard in my lifetime.  None of the news outlet excerpts does it justice - your really must see or hear the entire address.

I have posted the full video here...see below.

I guess what struck me about the President's eulogy was that I did not detect a single whiff of insincerity in the entire address - a feeling I cannot recall relative to ANY Presidential address in my (admittedly failing) memory.

I got the impression that this speech was liberating for the President. The first black President got to be uninhibitedly black..in the best way that the phrase can be imagined.  It had to be liberating.  It had to feel very good.  And it showed.

And I agreed with virtually everything our President said.  That made it feel good for me.

Our President is a good man.

No comments: