Sunday, April 6, 2008

Gangsta's in the 'Hood

Another morning. Another latte grande at Tully's. I really like this place and it's getting to feel like home.

Yesterday morning I was approached by one of the regulars who hangs-out here every morning. Chatted about the weather and the Mariners. I took it as an open invitation to join one of the Koffee Klatch gangs here.

There are two distinct factions who reside at opposite ends of the room. On the west end, by the fireplace, the Krusty Kodgers reign supreme. This all-male crew is middle-aged to elderly and preoccupied with (in order of importance) 1. personal health issues (numerous); 2. the high cost of living; 3. NCAA basketball - soon to be supplanted with a preoccupation with the Mariners I'm sure; and 4. the congenital incompetence of various local governmental bodies and agencies.

On the east end of the room, the Old Lefties hold sway. This mixed-gender crew is also gray-haired or follicle impaired but preoccupied with far weightier matters. This morning they appear to be organizing some sort of petition effort...something to do with cleaning-up Puget Sound I believe. Their conference table groans under several stacks of journals and papers. Several people are taking notes. Their enthusiasms include: 1. personal health issues (numerous) 2. global warming (bad); 3. Recycling (not good enough); 4. Barack Obama (very good); and 5. George Bush (VERY bad)

Yesterday's discreet offer to enter into negotiations for membership came from "Ed" - one of the supremos of the Krusty Kodgers. And although I have not had any similar contact with the Old Lefties, I am confident that with my charm, wit, and impeccable bureaucratic credentials I could easily secure membership with that crew as well.

The question being: do I want to? I think not. I refuse to believe that I am crotchety enough for the Krusty Kodgers; and the Old Lefties are just a tad too earnest for my taste.

For the moment, I will continue as a de facto member of the third crew in the joint - the Sullen Loners. This bunch, actually more numerous than the other two combined, are scattered throughout the establishment. They sit alone, staring slack-jawed at their laptops. Some appear to be students with textbooks on the table. Others are checking emails and reading the news. An occasional gamer. And a couple of them...well I prefer not to dwell on what they may be staring at...

So there you have it. Coffee House Culture in Ballard.

Elmer

P.S. The coffee cake is quite good.

No comments: