Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Juneau Spring Picnic Season Begins!

Night before last I went out to Dave and Kris Grays for a picnic. They live on the south side of Lena Point - about the finest property in the borough. It was a beautiful evening. My old boss, Al Adams, was the grillmaster and Marla Berg, official firestarter.

There were a dozen or so sealions in front of the cabin carrying-on. They dove and jumped around like I've never seen before. Must have been some kind of groceries out there although I didn't see any herring or other feed flipping. John and Marla Bergs' dog, Buddy, was fascinated and made several attempts to swim-out and join the party. I suspect the sealions would have been more than happy to see him...

I took a bunch of pics with my new telephoto lens; but operator error resulted in most of them being out of focus. I've got to stop using the autofocus in these kinds of situations - it works like a charm - but doesn't care whether it focuses on what I want to focus on or something in front or in back of the subject. I will learn however.

Last night Dougie, Alison, and I walked the airport dike trail in search of swans and other birdies. I've walked the trail a bizillion times and don't think I've EVER seen so FEW birds! A few ducks - a couple of crows; but not the spring tweet fest we expected. I think the migrants are late - can't say I blame them since it was snowing a week ago. It was another beautiful evening and a nice walk however.

More later...

2 comments:

amandarose said...

When I look at those pictures of Dave Gray's cabin is when I really miss Juneau! I love that beach, sigh...

I heard you guys had a hell-of-a power outage last week. Scary! That snow better stop soon. A little bird told me the first boat is coming in on the 30th!

Elmer Lindstrom said...

Yep. The town's getting geared-up. The flags will go up this weekend on Egan Drive. The helicopters are already making practice flights - it will take me a couple of weeks to get used to the constant clattering. I saw Kira when I was walking at Auke Rec the other day. She's dogsitting a couple of black labs. She's going to be working at a knife shop somewhere downtown.