Friday, May 23, 2008

Life on the Farm

Just got up and the coffee is cooking. And it's clear as a bell. Yippee!

Monday and Tuesday were also nice and I FINALLY got to get some serious yardwork accomplished. A couple of weeks ago I think I mentioned that I built a new raised flower bed in my folk's yard. Tore out a bunch of tangled roots from a Mountain Ash that mom had removed last Fall, hauled some rock from a quarry up by Eaglecrest, and got some good soil from Fred Meyers. The rest of the yard looked pretty ratty...lots of moss. So on Monday I borrowed Dougie's truck and brought in a yard of topsoil, raked it, rolled it, planted grass, and watered. Now if we get a week of sun (which is the forecast) the little grass seeds should come shoosting out and make me happy.

On Tuesday I started cleaning-up my aunt's yard. It looks pretty ratty, too, didn't get much attention last year when I couldn't do much after surgery. So...it's gonna get a lot more attention this year. I cleaned out the raised beds and mowed the lawn. There's lots of moss so yesterday afternoon after it quit raining I hit-it with "Moss-Out."

Today I believe I will go get some soil and some bedding plants and head back up to Aunt Emilie's. And tomorrow is one of the big events of the season - the annual thatching bee. I will service both my aunt's and Dougie and Alison's yards. And since tomorrow is Saturday, reckon I'll go to the barn dance and get likkered-up on moonshine. Life is good.

In other news, Dougie, Alison, and Thelma got back from Hawaii yesterday. Didn't have much time to hear all the details; but it sounds like they had a great time and played lots of golf. They did mention the "vog" as an annoyance - which is the air pollution from the volcano. Guess it's been really bad this year.

I've got to take dad to a doctor's appointment at 10:30 AM this morning...so I'm gonna go have a workout now. And I hope to take a nice bike ride to the Glacier after all my chores are done.

With nice weather this weekend perhaps I will have some interesting photos for my next blog.

Have a great weekend everyone!

No comments: