Monday, May 5, 2008

Mutt-Mutt's Up on the Roof - and he WON'T Come Down!

Sorry for the delay folks. Just spent most of a day trying to get my Norton security software fixed. This involved several calls to tech support - in Mumbai, I believe. It was a nightmare. The techie took-over my computer for a couple of hours (until about 1 a.m. this morning) and fiddled with this and that. Finally, I think he uninstalled and then reinstalled my software - but didn't give me an activation key. And then my internet wouldn't work - so I just got off the phone with the GCI tech support guy. And then back to Mumbai for activation. Computer fuckery.

Take a deep breath, Elmer.

OK...now where were we?

Ah yes, Terry and Mutt-Mutt.

Marian Harrigan sent me home with a bunch of old pictures and negatives that she got when her brother (Terry's Uncle Bob) passed-away a couple of years ago. The pics included some of Terry's grandparents, Marian as a child, and Marian's siblings. And, best of all, some great black and white negatives that Uncle Bob took when Terry and Chris were toddlers.

I have now scanned all of the pics and negatives and have made a CD for Terry.

When Marian and I were looking at the stuff in Ballard, she chuckled when she saw a couple of pics of young Terry with her childhood stuffed dog, Mutt-Mutt. Apparently Terry and Mutt-Mutt were inseparable - and being inseparable to a toddler comes at great cost if you are a stuffed dog.

At some point Mutt-Mutt became so disgusting - bordering on a public health hazard - that Marian had to put him down; resorting, no doubt, to some variation on the tried-and-true parental dodge that Mutt-Mutt was "up on the roof, and wouldn't come down."

Fortunately, Terry was a good-natured child and accepted a replacement stuffed animal without apparent long-term psychological damage. I note for the record, however, that childhood traumas often resurface years later so it is incumbent upon all of us to continue to monitor her behaviour for any signs of latent Mutt-Mutt separation anxiety.

So, without further ado, I give you Terry and Mutt-Mutt along with a couple of Uncle Bob's other gems. Terry and Chris were real cuties!

2 comments:

Terry said...

Mutt Mutt - the REAL story.
I didn't recall being told Mutt Mutt was on the roof (or anywhere else) so I asked my Mom. She said she found a similar but smaller Mutt Mutt and I was told it was Mutt Mutt's baby. Apparently I happily accepted this unlikely explanation without question. Mom said I always was a gullible child...

Elmer Lindstrom said...

For the record, I have never considered you gullible...and you're still cute.