Friday, May 16, 2008

Where the Sun Don't Shine...

I received a very rude email from Ms. Jane Ellis yesterday afternoon. She informed me that it was a beautiful day in Portland - in the 80's - and she was feeling a need to head to the store to get something to BBQ. No doubt there was dining al fresco a plenty in the City of Roses last evening. I just checked and it looks like continued beautiful weather - possible record heat - for the Great Northwest today.

In Southeast Alaska - not so much. In fact, it's cold as hell and wet, wet, wet. The trees are about half leafed-out. The ground is frozen about four inches down in my folks back yard. And although the tour boat season is now in full-swing - I expect that snippy spousal exchanges along the lines of "I told you we should have gone to Mexico" are very common on South Franklin.

My mood has been in tune with the weather. I got my bike back from the shop after its Spring tune-up last Saturday; but I remain without saddle sores. I think it's safe to assume that Bike to Work Day (today, I think) will be less than a roaring success here in the rainforrest.

Given the lack of outdoor recreational activities I have contented myself with the usual foul-weather routine - constant workouts at the gym, elder care, working on photo projects, and a little cooking. And I've been reading more than in the past few years. The best that can be said for all of this is it's still way better than work!

The good news is I'm paying off my last vacation quickly and can begin planning another one... If the weather does not improve markedly I think I'll take a couple of weeks in late July. I've never been in the Rocky Mountains...maybe a driving trip out of Denver for ten days or so...I've started to do some online research.

Sorry about the desultory posting...but stay tuned for Monday's second installment of The Lindstrom Chronicles. Get out and enjoy the sunshine you lucky Great Northwest people!

1 comment:

Eric said...

Well, I can certainly vouch for Elmer's weather report. I spent the day king salmon fishing. It was wet, and the coldest day I have spent at sea in decades. I invited Elmer to go along, but he had the good sense to hold out for a better day.