Sunday, July 27, 2008

McKinnon Behrends 1986-2008

I’m so sad.

Today, I attended the memorial for Dick and Candy Behrends’ son McKinnon, “Mac” Behrends. Mac was 22. He died in Portland, Oregon earlier this month.

The celebration was held at the old Armory Building next to Centennial Hall. There were hundreds of folks in attendance.

Dick is my “cousin” by marriage. His father’s first marriage was to my father’s sister Ingaborg.

Dick and I were more than cousins at Western Washington University. When I first arrived at WWU he was my mentor on the ways of University life and best friend. We were living together in Bellingham when he met his future wife, Candy. I have a dim recollection that the initial meeting was at a Bellingham “Mexican” cantina – Candy was there with several friends for some special occasion. A wedding perhaps.

Candy’s hometown is Bothell – and Dick became a commuter from Bellingham to Bothell on a very regular basis.

Sadly, I have not remained close to Dick and Candy over the years. They have a very successful plumbing business in town.

The ceremony today was quite moving. Doug was the Master of Ceremonies. He did a very good job. Several very talented folks sang songs. One of Candy’s brothers recited a very moving poem written by one of Candy’s sisters.

Mac’s sister, Amanda, and Candy put together a beautiful slideshow accompanied by some of Mac’s favourite songs.

Tears flowed down my cheeks the whole time.

I resolve to rekindle my relationship with Dick and Candy and their delightful daughter, Amanda.

Condolences may be sent to Dick and Candy at: candybehrends@yahoo.com

Mac’s Juneau Empire obituary is at: http://juneauempire.com/stories/072308/obi_308369875.shtml

McKinnon Behrends – rest in peace.

No comments: