Friday, July 25, 2008

Young, Stupid, and Drunk

Now where were we? Ah, yes, - Juneau in 1976.

I spent the summer of 1976 back in Juneau working for the State to save money to go back to school. It took me five years to get my degree. I'd work for the State for six months or so, go back to school for three quarters, back to Juneau for another cash infusion, and so on.

Jane and Julia at what I assume was our 1976 Halloween Party. Weren't they something?

All of the various stints in Juneau kinda run together. In retrospect, I cannot say that my time spent in Juneau in the 70's contributed much to the betterment of mankind - or the betterment of myself, for that matter. On the other hand, they were certainly fun...in a blurry, boozy sort of way. Many of my pals were on the same sort of schedule. Someone was always going to or coming from school.

Yours truly and Jill Halsted.

My work for the State was not exactly challenging - basically clerical. This was a good thing given my state-of-health on more mornings than I care to remember.

In the summer there were many parties on the beach out North Douglas. When the weather was inclement and in the nine months of the year beach parties were NOT on the agenda, there were often Happy Hours downtown after work. On the weekends, there was frequently live music - Yancey Derringer's (where The Hanger is now) the Baranof, and the Hilton (now the Goldbelt Hotel) were twenty-something hangouts where we would dance the night away.

Left to Right - Jim Larson, Eric Swanson and Mitch Hogan. Ken Barkey in front.

And then there was Louie's Douglas Inn which was the unofficial headquarters of our crew. God knows how many of Louie's trips to Hawaii we financed...

We also had house parties - typically in honor of a birthday or other special event. Jane's pictures from 1976 capture several of these festive occasions.

Left to Right: Terry Harrigan, Doug Rickey, Jill Halsted, and Yours Truly.

2 comments:

Doug said...

That's me in the gas mask.

Elmer Lindstrom said...

To whom should I offer apologies - you or Jill? By the way, do you have an email address for her. I had one on my office computer...but didn't copy my address book when I retired...don't know if it was still valid or not anyway. I haven't heard from her in quite a few years.