Thursday, January 29, 2009

Sarah Needs Your Help

My Governor needs your help. She needs to stay in the national public spotlight. She needs to attend big-name political events like the upcoming Alfalfa Club Dinner featuring our new President. She needs a new wardrobe.

And you can help!

Just click on the link below to SARAHPAC and make a donation. I already tried it...donated $100 under the name of my good friend, Jane Ellis (See Footnote 1). And I'm sure Jane will keep us posted on all the interesting emails, junk mail, and irksome phone solicitations she will be receiving between now and the Republican National Convention in 2012.

http://www.sarahpac.com/landing/

And speaking of Sarahs - yesterday I had a nice chat with Sarah Lynn Plotnick as I was walking into the Club. I actually LIKE this Sarah who was a friend and high school classmate way back when. She and her husband have a place in Bay View near Fish Creek out North Douglas. She looks like a million bucks.

We compared notes on elder care - Sarah's mom is 82 and still living alone in the old Plotnick place in Douglas. Her daily routine sounds quite similar to my own in terms of parental duties. Her younger sister Barb, lives in the Puget Sound area and has a couple of delightful young daughters. Her older sister, Rocky, lives here in Juneau and is married to my Urologist, Dr. Singsaas. I have always been fond of the whole Plotnick clan. Danny Plotnick, the patriarch, was a truly eccentric guy and a hell of a good egg. I remember enthusiastically campaigning for him when he ran for Mayor a few decades ago.

Thanks to Dougie for providing the link below from the Fairbanks News Miner which demonstrates conclusively that the rugged Alaska entrepreneurial spirit lives on:

http://newsminer.com/news/2009/jan/27/pub-line-bus-service-could-become-mobile-bar-fairb/

As Dougie said, "Makes me proud to be an Alaskan."

In other news, the other night I went out for cocktails and supper at the Prospector with Sherry Hill, a former Department of Health and Social Services colleague who is moving to Olympia to work for the State of Washington. The Prospector was chock-a-block full of legislators, lobbyists, and assorted other political hangers-on. I had a very short but pleasant visit with my old boss, Al Adams.

After glad-handing and yukking-it-up with the assembled politicos, I actually felt a tinge of longing for the good old days. But like the annual May Day yearning to own a boat, the attack passed in a minute or two with only a slight light-headedness and dry cough remaining.

Well, time to go chop some wood. A light schedule today. No medical appointments for any elder. Although it is certainly possible duties of which I am at present blissfully unaware have arisen since I saw the folks last evening.

AND LAST BUT NOT LEAST - HAPPY BIRTHDAY SHELLY MANGUSO!

FOOTNOTE #1 - Just kidding Jane!

No comments: