Sunday, February 1, 2009

Harborview Elementary circa 1961

It is an ugly, drippy, slushy day. We got about six inches of snow Friday night. Yesterday involved some serious shoveling of heavy wet snow at the elders. And we were supposed to get another foot last night; but it warmed-up faster than predicted and turned to rain during the night. So, it's a mess; but at least I don't have to shovel today.

We had a little get-together at the Prospector Friday evening after work to celebrate Shelly Manguso's birthday. It was quite fun. Last night I went to the Island Pub for pizza with David and Kathy Bohna. They are good friends of my former sister-in-law. I met them in Anchorage years ago and they since moved to Juneau. They're great company.

A couple of weeks ago when John Chapman, Brent Long, and I were at the Pub we spent a lot of time reminiscing about the old neighborhood and school days. I've been thinking about the visit and it prompted me to dig-out all my old elementary school pictures this morning. I've got every year from my Harborview Elementary School years except second grade when individual pics were taken instead of group shots. I'll be rolling these pics out over the next couple of weeks.

I am embarrassed about how few of the kids I can place a name to from my Kindergarten experience. PLEASE let me know if you can fill in any of the blanks.

While rummaging through the archives, I also stumbled on several other treasure-troves. A few pictures from the high school era (the collection that was NOT suitable for going into the year book). A few pics from Western Washington University when I took a photography class. And a few pictures from the 1980's. Some quite amusing. So stay tuned...




Mrs. Broburg's Kindergarten Class

Front row left to right: Denise Blefgen, Unknown, Unknown, Unknown

Second row: Unknown, Unknown, Margaret Wells, Unknown, Unknown, Unknown, Unknown, Charlie ?

Third Row: Unknown, Bob Chapman, Unknown, Elmer Lindstrom, Dylan Gibson, Unknown, Donna Wright

Back row: Mrs. Broburg, Jim Brown, Danny Graves, Unknown, Patrick Greany, Unknown, Unknown, Unknown.

I have very few discreet recollections about kindergarten. I do remember we had nap time every day when we had to get out our blankets and curl-up on the floor. My blankey was yellow with white trim. I liked my blankey. And I remember one day when Margaret Wells called me at home - the gist of the conversation being that she figured we would get married someday. I was very embarassed - my mom thought it was about the cutest thing ever, of course, which made it sooooooo much worse.

No comments: